GTX 275 in SLI power requirements?

mimic58

Have you read it? Pure guess, I bet you haven't.

The latest EPS standard refers to:

* Removal to references to common and split 12V planes (ie you can add the 12V rails)
* Added cross loading plots (i.e you can add the 12V rails)
* Increase 12V rail currents (over and above 240VAC safety limits on ATX PSUs)

btw, efficiency issues will simply mean it will draw more amps from the wall to deliver the intended power - it doesn't work how you have described, and duty cycle is expressed practically in MTBF ratings, at least 40oC. So really, with a 7 year warranty, who gives a shit.

*edit* oo i can hear google being hit hard now ;)

thats interesting, I know conventional switch mode power supplys do exactly the same thing and always have done.... But normaly they are limited by the raiting of their internal transistors like you cant pull 50 amps through a 25 amp transistor so regardless of the current at the wall socket, it cant allow more than its raiting without blowing up.. Sureley if your correct this would mean that the current flow on and EPS12 supply is not limited at all an can deliver what ever you have at the socket, But i cant see this being the case, It still has to switch the mode from AC to DC and smooth and regulate it thus it has to use components and these would have current limits.... these components would also still generate stacks of heat (hence the need for 3 Fans!) meaning your efficiency is not 100%

So unless your telling the components inside an EPS12 supply are superconductive , and can allow unlimited amounts of amps without generating any heat, They Cannot allow unlimited current and your supply is still going to blow up if you pull to much current

edit (" Belches loudly and fetches another bacon sandwich")

Last edited:

Okedokey

no one said anything about unlimited. EPS12 PSUs basically allows you to overcome the dedicated to CPU 12V+1 rail as in standard ATX designs. EPS allows for cross over between rails, which are not true multirails btw . If a Corsair PSU can deliver 60A (720W) before shutdown, at 80% efficiency, it will draw 864W from the wall at max.

Last edited:

mimic58

yep agreed... most power supply raitings are given on there consumption not on what they actualy output..

but you have still not explained how you can exceed the current limit on the 12v side an eps12 powersupply without blowing up its internals..

Edit: AHHH i see now your explanation makes sence , It has the internal ability to bridge rails, So if you exceed the raiting of one rail it just pulls it from another one instead

Now this time what you say is perfectly sound

So the conclusion is that eps12 is as good as a Single rail, But is still limited by its total wattage thanks for taking the time to explain

Last edited:

Okedokey

i see now your explanation makes sence , It has the internal ability to bridge rails, So if you exceed the raiting of one rail it just pulls it from another one instead

all consumer grade PC PSUs are single rail. electronically voltage split rails are not true multirails - as windings on a transformer are. they are simply marketing bollocks, but you get the concept finally.

mate, my text communication may have flavour, but i always appreciate the conversation with ya

Last edited:

mimic58

all consumer grade PC PSUs are single rail. electronically voltage split rails are not true multirails - as windings on a transformer are. they are simply marketing bollocks, but you get the concept finally.

mate, my text communication may have flavour, but i always appreciate the conversation with ya

but to clarify this feature is only in these new eps12 supplys , if you try and pull to much from one rail on a normal atx supply it goes bang right??

likewise , It goods to get real information not forum myths

Okedokey

it can. most reputable psu makers are single rail these days. but with 1000W, you don't have to worry ever ;)

mimic58

peace bro

I hate to be a pain in the aris, But i have another question...

I just disected the 800w supply that blew up on me, And found that all of the 12v posative wires and all of the negative went to the same points on the PCB they were not split into 4 at all, Now on the outside of the box it says 4 12v outputs at 20amp, So im taking this to mean it should be combined at 80 amps and it wont matter what 12v wire you take it from cus they come from the same place on the board, I couldnt of been pulling over 80 amps based on whats been said about the consumption of my cards

So heres the question... Why did it go Bang?:mad:

mimic58

New Power supply turned up today , Installed it Bench tested my cards at full load..... No problems :good: didnt even crack a sweat :rolleyes: