GTX 480 receives OCC-Gold award for the best Single GPU

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ryeong

GTX 480 Review

Price is not listen under cons because this card is in fact underpriced if you consider all the extra features.

Source:

http://www.overclockersclub.com/reviews/nvidia_gtx480/16.htm

Conclusion:

When you get right down to it the GTX 480 offers up better performance than the HD 5870. That's the expectation the world had for this card. In 44 out of 48 tests run the GTX 480 delivered a higher level of performance, a pretty stout performance. In the four tests that it did not outright win, two showed performance equal to the HD 5870 and the two it lost were not by a large margin. With those kind of performance results I have to say that NVIDIA delivered a card that did what it was meant to do, deliver a higher level of performance. This was more evident in the newer games and DirectX 11 game and benchmark results where the GTX 480 cleaned house. The scoring in the Unigine 2.0 benchmark shows the strengths of the Fermi architecture with scores from the GTX 480 finishing almost 100% higher than the results of the comparison HD 5870 when the extreme tessellation preset is chosen. Metro 2033 testing showed that the performance in the Unigine testing was no fluke. The tesselation performance is a result of the all new Polymorph Tesselation engines that reside in each GPU cluster. Much of the early talk about the Fermi third generation Streaming Multiprocessor architecture was geared toward GPU computing, but make no mistake, this is a video card built for gaming as shown by the results. However, there is so much more that this card can be used for besides gaming; there are an abundance of GPU accelerated applications to make your life easier, such as Badaboom, Vreveal, WinZip, Photoshop and more. For those into the distributed computing scene there is a client that takes advantage of the massive parallel architecture to really push your contributions higher to hopefully help find a cure for some really heinous diseases. NVIDIA's stereoscopic 3D Vision system is not new to the market but supporting it over three monitors is a whole new way to enjoy this technology. When running with three monitors you have what is called 3D Vision Surround. If you don't want to use NVIDIA's 3D Vision system
you still can enjoy a surround experience with GT 200 and higher based video cards. The downside is that to run the surround setup you need to run two cards in SLI. If you are going this route you still have the monitor purchase but you just need two cards to really have the horsepower to drive the 746 million pixels per second in a 3DSurround setup. That does add to the cost but really, if you are going that way you have some cash to get there. Pricing is expected to be in the $499 range, or about 50 to 80 dollars more than ATI's HD 5870. Steep but the price point is going to be expected and puts NVIDIA at a point where ATI may not cut prices, making this a bad situation for consumers. Time will tell though.

When it came time to overclock the GTX 480 I was able to get a decent clock speed increase out of the card that showed nice increases in gaming scores across the board. There weren't any utilities already out but EVGA will have its Precision overclocking tool available that gives you the ability to push the clock speeds on the GTX 480. The clock speeds I reached amount to a 15% increase in the Core/Shader speed, from 1401MHz to 1608MHz, and an 11.5% increase on the memory clock speeds, from 1848MHz to 2115MHz. However, to reach this level of performance you need to make sure you have at least a 600 watt power supply with a native 6 and 8-pin PCI-E power connector. Max power consumption for the board is rated at 250 watts. I only saw close to that number while overclocked, with a total system consumption of 451 watts. At idle, the system consumes 206 watts. At stock speeds, the power consumption was about 25 watts lower at 424 watts. The cooling solution
used on the GTX 480 looks pretty stout but with fan speeds left at auto the card heats up fast. I saw temperatures over 100 degrees Celsius using Furmark with the fan speeds on auto. Bump the fan speed to 100% and you get temperatures in the mid 60C range. However, you do have a noise penalty when doing this. At a fan speed of 70% I found a good solid balance between noise and temperatures. 80 Celsius is where the temperature peaked in my well ventilated Stacker 810 case. This put me a good 25 Celsius away from the maximum safe temperature. Just make sure your case is well ventilated or you may see the temperatures of the other components in the system increase and cause you other heat related concerns. Cooling those three billion transistors and 480 cores is gonna take some work.

ATI has filled its product stack from top to bottom so NVIDIA has its work cut out for itself, filling up its stack to compete with ATI at all price points. To achieve this, NVIDIA built a scalable architecture that uses GPU clusters so you can drop clusters (four on the GTX 480) to reach a performance and price point. It will be interesting to see how NVIDIA fills out its DirectX 11 portfolio. All things considered, NVIDIA stepped up to the plate (albeit rather late) and delivered gaming performance with visual quality. While the cards do not hit stores until the week of April 12, nVidia has assured us of an ample supply of cards available on launch.

Pros:

* Performance
* Overclocking
* DX 11 performance
* 3D Vision and Surround supported
* Direct Compute
* 32x CSAA
* Power consumption
* Cooling solution
* Productivity increase with CUDA apps
* Ray tracing
* PhysX
* Competitive price point

Cons:

* 3D Vision Surround needs two video cards
* Hot running
* Fan noise at full speed

OCC-Gold.png

Last edited:

Aastii

VIP Member
Pros:

* Performance
* Overclocking
* DX 11 performance
* 3D Vision and Surround supported
* Direct Compute
* 32x CSAA
* Power consumption
* Cooling solution
* Productivity increase with CUDA apps
* Ray tracing
* PhysX
* Competitive price point

Cons:

* 3D Vision Surround needs two video cards
* Hot running
* Fan noise at full speed

how exactly is the cooling sollution a pro, if it runs hot and loud :confused:

bomberboysk

[/B]

how exactly is the cooling sollution a pro, if it runs hot and loud :confused:

Because its finally a decent reference cooler, but the thing produces too much heat for it to be useful?:p Ive seen reviews with the thing running close to 95c load...single card.

Ryeong

They ran it with fan speed sat at auto. Not a good idea :/.. Some reviews said they was able to bring it down to around 60 with 100% fan speed under load and 75 with 70%..

I have had the same issue with automatic fan speed with my gtx 275's. On auto it goes to 40% and when my gpu hits 75+ it goes to 50% and up to 55% at max. I don't know why, but i dont like it. So i keep mine at 75% fan speed. helps a lot!

Still, those are high temps. But i'll know how it is when i get my Evga GTX 480.. And i'll post how it does etc. I have Antec 900 tower and i added an extra fan at the side, so i have some nice airflow. I also ordered H50 for my cpu cus i know this card will increase the temps in my case.

Also, i have all my fans in my case on 100% (2 in front drags inn air, 1 on top pulls out air, 1 at back pulls out air, 1 at the side drags inn air) When i get my H50, it will drag inn air from the back, therefore it's only the fan at top who will pull out air.

Ethan3.14159

Because its finally a decent reference cooler, but the thing produces too much heat for it to be useful?:p Ive seen reviews with the thing running close to 95c load...single card.
Toms Hardware showed it ran at 97c. :eek:

Didn't the 5870 win the same "award" recently?

Ryeong

Didn't the 5870 win the same "award" recently?

5870 got the same award when it was released.. which was a LONG time ago. This review is more "up to-date"

97c on auto. 60 on 100%, 75 on 70%. I'll check this myself when i get the card. I just don't trust anyone anymore.

Last edited:

Shane

Super Moderator
Staff member

OMG....im going to wait a bit until some aftermarket coolers are made i or buy one from Asus because they usualy stick on their own aftermarket coolers which are much better.

I wonder if the i7 920 or 930 stock would bottleneck the 480 in any way?

Stildawn

Those temps are crazy.... 60degrees with 100% fan... Screw that... Thats too hot for my liking at load let alone idle...

Ethan3.14159

OMG....im going to wait a bit until some aftermarket coolers are made i or buy one from Asus because they usualy stick on their own aftermarket coolers which are much better.

I wonder if the i7 920 or 930 stock would bottleneck the 480 in any way?
It almost needs water cooling. They may have to start making 3 slot coolers just for Nvidia. :p

I would just go with a 5970. Better performance, similar power consumption, and actually runs a little cooler. I don't think Nvidia will even be able to release a dual GPU card given the power consumption and heat.

bomberboysk

It almost needs water cooling. They may have to start making 3 slot coolers just for Nvidia. :p

I would just go with a 5970. Better performance, similar power consumption, and actually runs a little cooler. I don't think Nvidia will even be able to release a dual GPU card given the power consumption and heat.

They may be able to with the revised core, the "GTX485" or whatever it will be called....whenever such a thing comes out that is....

Gabe63

It looks like the 470 will have new comp with the ASUS 5850 card that was recently benched.

http://www.techpowerup.com/reviews/ASUS/EAH_5850_TOP_DirectCu/

It goes halfway between the current 5850 and 5870 cards.

Either way I have been dying to buy an nvidia card just to see the diff their technology makes. I played NFSS on a GTX275 recently and I was not as disapointed as I thought I would be. I wish I could have downloaded FRAPS but the comp was at a store.

Come on already with the new nvidia cards... I love Anandtechs quote about the GTX480
" Because designing GPUs this big is "****ing hard""

dirtbikeryzz

The thing with Nvidia is that all the new tech in there cards wont shine until games start to use it. Once drivers get rolling, and some new games come out, Nvidia will once again pull ahead. But since my mobo only supports crossfire lol 5870's here I come.

Ryeong

The thing with Nvidia is that all the new tech in there cards wont shine until games start to use it. Once drivers get rolling, and some new games come out, Nvidia will once again pull ahead. But since my mobo only supports crossfire lol 5870's here I come.

Buy a new Mobo and SLI gtx 480. Never hurt anyone to become futureproof.. And yes. When games start to use more of Nvidia's Cuda tech and tesselation it will only be stupid to buy HD 5xxx, that's why i'm buying one GTX 480 now and dedicate one of my old 275's to physix and buy another GTX 480 in some months.

I'll say that HD 5xxx is a good choice if you have a low budget until summer, cus thats when games will go nvidias way. I'm 100% certain..

I know some people think the prices are high, which they are. But, i wouldn't expect a huge decrease of you consider that they gain very little yield of each card they sell.

Last edited:

El Gappo

OCC GOLD! Well they just lost any credibility they had... What a joke.

What psu are you planning on using for sli fermi's? lol

Ryeong

OCC GOLD! Well they just lost any credibility they had... What a joke.

What psu are you planning on using for sli fermi's? lol

GTX 480 takes around 250 w. Two 500 w. So it's np.. I have 950w..

They say it uses 600w, but that's with the whole system and not accurate. I have two GTX 275 in sli, and the rec for one was 500. Togheter they use around less than 500 w

Status
Not open for further replies.