Gtx 570 vs Gtx 580

colt1911

I'm looking at upgrading my Gtx 460 to either a 570 or 580. Is the 570 better considering price and performace or should I spend the money on the 580?

CardboardSword

Well I have a 570 and play at 1920x1080, there isn't much that'll make it so much as hesitate. (Metro 2033 is the only game I can think of, and that's only on very high settings, it runs great on high) I got BulletStorm yesterday and with all the settings on high and 8x AA it gets about 45~ fps average, never below 30. Personally I think the 580 is overkill unless you're doing 3D or nVidia surround (Or both). My vote is for a GTX570.

Aastii

VIP Member
If you plan on overclocking your GPU, neither, get a 480. Overclocked you are looking at performance over and above that of a 580, but with a lower price tag, even if it does create more heat. If you are keeping it stock, I would take a 570, however, do not rule out a 6950, it comes in cheaper than the 570, but performance wise isn't a million miles off, and if you unlock it to a 6970, it will be on par or above the 570

CardboardSword

If you plan on overclocking your GPU, neither, get a 480. Overclocked you are looking at performance over and above that of a 580, but with a lower price tag, even if it does create more heat. If you are keeping it stock, I would take a 570, however, do not rule out a 6950, it comes in cheaper than the 570, but performance wise isn't a million miles off, and if you unlock it to a 6970, it will be on par or above the 570

Wow really? Even with the unlocked CUDA cores? :S That's pretty surprising. I would have thought with the heat issues the 4XX series has that overclocking that much wouldn't be feasible.

I'll second your comments on the 6950 though, excellent card for the price, not to mention the high possibility of getting a 6970 out of it.

Aastii

VIP Member
Wow really? Even with the unlocked CUDA cores? :S That's pretty surprising. I would have thought with the heat issues the 4XX series has that overclocking that much wouldn't be feasible.

I'll second your comments on the 6950 though, excellent card for the price, not to mention the high possibility of getting a 6970 out of it.

Yes really, Nvidia focussed on getting rid of the heat/power issues rather than making it more powerful. Usually when stepping to a new family of GPU's, you will see a big performance gain, like from the 9xxx to 2xx for instance, or 2xx to 4xx