GTX 570M or GTX 660M?

wolfeking

banned
the 570 is faster, but not by much.

source:
notebookcheck said:
Thanks to the GDDR5-VRAM, the gaming performance of the GeForce GTX 660M is well ahead of the GT 650M DDR3 and on par with the AMD Radeon HD 6950M. Even the older high-end Fermi-GPU GTX 570M is only slightly faster. Therefore, current games as of 2011 should usually run fluently in 1080p resolution and high details. Only a few very demanding games, such as Metro 2033 or Crysis 2, may need reduced graphical settings for smoother gameplay.

Filter

Do you think the GE70's CPU will actually give me a higher FPS? Or will the 570 give me a better framerate regardless of the different CPU's?

wolfeking

banned
100 MHz is not worth a weaker graphics card. However the newer tech will extend battery life. It is up to you, they both should be good, probably within 5 FPS of each other.

Filter

100mhz? What card are you referring to? I dont care about extending battery life, I want more performance even if its only a little bit more. If I want more performance is the 570 the better choice?

Filter

Oh, right. So youre saying go with the 660 because the processor is better? I'll be OCing the CPU and GPU, and the 660's CPU goes up to 3.3 GHz, so maybe the 660 is a better choice; UNLESS the 570's CPU can match that clock or surpass it.

wolfeking

banned
doubtful. most laptops have locked bios meaning that overclocking is not possible.

and either will be fine.

Filter

If you look under the 660's specs, it says:

"6MB L3 Cache
Max Turbo Frequency 3.3 GHz."

Gaming laptops usually have some kind of OC software built in, the 660 does. Theres only like a 2% difference in performance for the 660 and the 570, so Id rather choose the 660 due to the better CPU.

wolfeking

banned
1. that a processor spec.

and 2. software overclocking is never as useful as the BIOS overclock. There is only so much you can force without direct voltage control.

Filter

Yea thats what I meant, the CPU on the 660 has a max clock of 3.3GHz. Using afterburner will definitely increase GPU performance.

wolfeking

banned
GPU will. Your not going to get far above 3.3 on the CPU though. And if you read up on it, you will only get that speed if your only running one thread. Turbo is not going to help BF3 much if any.

wolfeking

banned
the one with the 570.

But it is not going to be the best. Even a GTX 680m will probably run out of power at about medium graphics.

Filter

Ohh, so youre saying I shouldnt get the 660 just because the CPU has an extra 100MHz. It isnt worth it.

And Ill have the power cord plugged in when Im gaming. Im getting a laptop cause of its small size and portability.

EDIT: by "run out of power" do you mean battery life or the ability to make a game run on certain settings?

StrangleHold

Staff member
You want a straight answer?

There is virtually no difference between the 570M and 660M. The i7 3610 is a better processor then the i7 2670. Other then the 8 vs. 12gb. of memory, which will make no difference. Sorta of a no brainer, the GE70, plus its 50 bucks cheaper.

zadarblack

I know its may be a bit late.
But i am curently using a Asus G75 with the 660m

Running battlefield 3 at ultra with AA4X easily over 30 fps.
Its can happen very very rarely in a big firefight thats its will drop to 25 but thas its.

My friend got a 570 in a desktop and its lag more than my 660m.
So 570 is slower than the 660m sorry. not by much but it is slower.

wolfeking

banned
no. The 660m is basically (despite carrying the gk designation) a GTX570m, which is a GTX560 desktop card that is underclocked. There is no way short of SLI that your laptop has more powerful graphics than him. Maybe if you had a GTX670xm or highly overclocked GTX580m you might get close to a 570s performance.