GTX 660 Nvlddmkm.sys BSOD on startup

Well this has only started happening recently (Just yesterday actually). I'll start off by saying the computer is about to hit 6 years old this Christmas, but my GPU is only about 3 years old and my PSU probably about 2 years old.

System specifications:
Motherboard: Asus P7P55-LX
GPU: (Zotac)GTX 660
CPU: First Gen intel i7 860
HDD: WD Caviar Black 1TB
PSU: Antec 850W PSU
I wish I could tell you what driver version I was running but I've installed so many over the past 24 hours I can't keep track, but it doesn't seem like it should be driver related considering the situation in which it started happening.
As I stated the problem only just started happening yesterday while I was playing Euro Truck Simulator 2 Multiplayer, I was banned(For a stupid reason) so I figured I would take some time to straighten up my desk when I looked around my Logitech G25 and noticed while tightening it down it had actually shattered my glass tabletop cover. So I shut my system down via the start menu and let everything close out like normal, once everything had closed down and the system powered off I flipped the power switch on the PSU and then disconnected the power supply and began taking all my peripherals off etc.. I then hooked everything back up after spending 2 hours cleaning up my mess and as soon as I went to power on the PC I began getting the nvlddmkm.sys BSOD as soon as the startup screen began to say welcome.

Things I have tried to do to remedy the situation.
Firstly I booted into safe-mode used DDU to uninstall and wipe the drivers, restarted the computer and made sure no Nvidia processes were running and then began to install countless old and new drivers on the PC with DDU wipes in between each one. I then began to use my Google-fu(Which is why I haven't posted on any type of tech forums in years I normally can figure this crap out on my own, I use posting on forums as a last resort) and found that some people were able to fix the issue by changing the nvlddmkm.sys in System32/Drivers to nvlddmkm.sys.old and then taking the nvlddmkm.sy from the Nvidia folder putting that on your desktop and using CMD to expand the file and then put it back in the System32/Drivers folder that didn't fix it for me. The last thing I did was to try a system restore with no luck their either. So I'm completely stumped on what to do, the only thing I could think of is that the GPU is dead but it just doesn't seem likely considering I've had no other BSOD's in quite some time(Atleast 8 months to over a year) no artifacting in video games or anything to suggest the card was on it's way out.
If you've made it this far on my wall of text I appreciate you taking the time out to read this and hope that you're able to help me out. I will be quite active as I would like to fix this ASAP.

johnb35

Administrator
Staff member
Yeah, I would say its the card itself. Did you take it out of the system and set it somewhere? Just wondering if static electricity got it somehow.

Nope, I had the computer built for me for that specific reason of being terrified of static electricity. I merely unplugged the computer never even opened the case up. If the card is fried it really shouldn't be such a huge deal because Zotac offered a 3 year extended warranty(Just realized the card is only a year and 8 months old so shes still covered).

johnb35

Administrator
Staff member
OK then, try doing this. Remove video card and then try reinserting it and see if that helps any. Sometimes it does. You said you disconnected everything, did you move the tower at all? I'm guessing movement of case has cause the card to become loose maybe?

I can't remember moving it at all but if I did it would've been about an inch or so and it has rubber feet so it probably shouldn't have moved anything. But I'll give it a try.

Well that's just odd, I didn't even remove the card at all I just pushed on it a little bit and I'm on the desktop. I also turned my 200MM top fan to high, and pushed on all the connectors to everything and made sure I was using the 13A plug(Which I was) and it seems to have worked. But it still hung on the Welcome loading screen for about 10-15 seconds which is odd even for my slow 6 year old HDD. I'm going to try playing some games and see what happens, hopefully it stays working because I really don't want to have to wait 2-3 weeks to do a return policy. Wish me luck and thank you for the help! If anything happens I'll definitely post back here.