gtx 680 4gb high idle

up355

i have a evga gtx 680 4gb which has just recently started idling at 52 degrees which is way too high in my opinion.

i've also noticed that the GPU clock is always at 1084MHz, isn't it suppose to drop down if its idling?

i only have one monitor hooked up to this GPU so i would expect the idle to be a lot lower.

any ideas guys?

Aastii

VIP Member
What case do you have, what case fans, how are they powered and how are they orientated?

What drivers are you running as well?

Do you have any software open like Evga precision or MSI afterburner that could be controlling the fan speed and keeping it down or the clock speed and keeping it up?

up355

weird. my GPU clock just dropped down to 324MHz and im now idling at 35 degrees.

i have the latest drivers which are 314.22

i do have EVGA Precision running but I adjusted the fan speed only for when the temperature goes higher

FuryRosewood

ive noticed with the new drivers adaptive power management does not work always. install nvidia inspector and right click the start overclocking button, and select 'enable multi-display power saver' its probably due to having more than one display...but im not totally certain, it did fix me.

up355

ive noticed with the new drivers adaptive power management does not work always. install nvidia inspector and right click the start overclocking button, and select 'enable multi-display power saver' its probably due to having more than one display...but im not totally certain, it did fix me.

forgot that i made a thread here, but i decided to downgrade to 314.07 drivers and my idle has gone back to normal

G80FTW

weird. my GPU clock just dropped down to 324MHz and im now idling at 35 degrees.

i have the latest drivers which are 314.22

i do have EVGA Precision running but I adjusted the fan speed only for when the temperature goes higher

35 is still too hot for me. I dont like it idling above 30. And I dont have very good cooling setup for my case. I havent used EVGA Precision. Maybe I will check it out. Iv been using afterburner to control my fan.

up355

35 is still too hot for me. I dont like it idling above 30. And I dont have very good cooling setup for my case. I havent used EVGA Precision. Maybe I will check it out. Iv been using afterburner to control my fan.

just checked my temperatures again it usually sits at 32 degrees but it can go as low as 30. i don't mind it as long as the fans are not making as much noise as they were when it was idling at 40 degrees

up355

ok so i've fixed the problem completely now. i noticed that whenever i opened up firefox my GPU clock would jump straight to 1084MHz. so i opened up the nvidia control panel, clicked on manage 3D settings, and then clicked the tab which says program settings. i choose mozilla firefox from the drop down menu and changed 'anisotropic filtering' to 'application controlled'. my GPU clock went straight to 324 MHZ :D

i am also reinstalling 314.22 drivers now because it was not the reason why i had my problem

Last edited: