Guide To Building A Gaming PC

Rambo

Hello all!1 I have nearly finished buying all the parts for my new Gaming PC, Case, Mobo, Processor, Hard Drive, RAM.....

I was wondering whether someone would be able to make a step by step guide for me as a christmas present. Just kidding, but I do need a guide, and it needs to be understandable by an impatient 14 year old boy.. For example, ME! Heh!

So, whether someone can paste a link or actually type one out for me (if you do, please can there be pictures?), it would be great! It's just, I don't want to be bothering everyone here, on christmas day, when I actually put the things together.... Also, when everything is built, is there some stuff you need to set in the BIOS? If so, I would like help with that too.... Thanks :D

ZER0X

VIP Member
1.Get Case
2.Put Motherboard in case (Secure it)
3.Place CPU in securely
4.Put Fan on the CPU
5.Install the RAM
6.Put the neccasary Graphics card, and if you have PCI cards of anysort put them in.
7.Plug up All Hard drives, CD-ROMS woteva u got
8.Run it test it to see if things are working alright
9.It should pick up your Boot devices, if not do a search using BIOS
10.Install OS

I hope I didn't miss anything i'm kinda tired :(

You should get a book with yout Motherboard, that will contain were all the cords go and what they do.

It probably will have a step by step thing in the book aswell. :) Have fun with your setup

samuelhii_mei

i think you miss a major part in step 2!
the jumper!! for me it is pretty confusing! i used about half an hour to get them all right!!
if wrong jumper plugged! you cant even start the comp!
you can read the user guide to place those jumper!
every MB have different place to place the jumper!

4W4K3

VIP Member
my mobo doesnt even use jumpers. newer ones won't rely on them as much. only jumper i mess with is CMOS one...but i dont even use that since just switching off m PSU and turning it back on again will flash CMOS if PC cannot boot.

here ya go...pictures and everything. friend at iT wrote that up...i think it's top-notch:)
http://www.insanetek.com/index.php?page=compassembly

Praetor

Administrator
Staff member
i think you miss a major part in step 2!
the jumper!! for me it is pretty confusing! I used about half an hour to get them all right!!
What jumper? Looking at the mobo will reveal several dozen jumpers

my mobo doesnt even use jumpers. newer ones won't rely on them as much. only jumper I mess with is CMOS one...but I dont even use that since just switching off m PSU and turning it back on again will flash CMOS if PC cannot boot.
Some/all of the newer ones dont even need that (even though its still their for the oldtimers)

majeskyb

Building a gaming pc book

I used one before I did my first build, and it helped out a lot. When you're done, you'll realize that it was a lot easier than it looked like before hand, and you used less parts than it semed like. Also, remember to make sure you dont put any of those metal screw posts in the wrong spot on the case. Leaving one of those on there that doesn't touch a grounding area on the mobo, can short it out and kill it.

Last edited:

SlothX311

When you say A7N8X-X, im assuming that you mean the ASUS A7N8X-X. I was using this board for a while in my server. This board, if i remember'd correctly was not jumped free, but most of the jumpers came in the positions that they needed to be in. This is unless of course you have some funky setting you need like a 16 meg vid apeture size or sumthing, that was done through jumpers, but basically everything comes ready to go....

Praetor

Administrator
Staff member
When you say A7N8X-X, im assuming that you mean the ASUS A7N8X-X.
You assume correctly.

This board, if i remember'd correctly was not jumped free, but most of the jumpers came in the positions that they needed to be in. This is unless of course you have some funky setting you need like a 16 meg vid apeture size or sumthing,
Indeed. Damn near no mobo is really jumper free although few require extensive jumperwork :)