Guild Wars worthwhile?

jjbpenguin

I am looking into buying Guild Wars since I have been wanting a good online game without monthly fees. I was wondering what exactly are all the expansions about. I have heard that I wouldn't need the old ones to play ther newer ones, but I am not sure how much of a game 1 expansion is. Also, which expansion would be best if i was to only get one.

bumblebee_tuna

Don't be fooled, there are no expansions for Guild Wars; each game is a seperate game. It's also no World of Warcraft. Personally, I really didn't like the game because to truly did not feel like a MMORPG. The whole game feels like one big instance and it's really hard to play with other people.

TheOrangeDude

its like a mix with everything but didn't quite get there. if u want to play mmorpg like dont buy this. personally I rather wait for a little longer to play hellgate london. that game seem more interesting then GW. and dont get me start on wow, that game is old and u know make lots of people fat and lifeless.

LaGlaceMince

i have never played guild wars, but i have spent enough time looking into the mmo world to learn a thing or two about it. If you buy it, dont expect the massive interactions between players you get in normal mmorpgs. Think of it more as seperate servers, where you can join with some friends and play various levels. If you want the real mmorpg experience, I would suggest picking up a WoW 10 day trial for 2 bucks at best buy or sumthin, and see if you would be willing to pay the monthly fee (its not money wasted, they give ya a ton of updates, and provide some nice servers). As for a free online games, I <3 cs and cs:s, and command a conquer 3 is coming out at the end of the month, and it should be pretty awesome :D.

dark_angel

hey,
I play guild wars so can tell you about it.
Each "chapter" is a game in itself. Standalone.

You can play PvE (player vs environment) or PvP (player vs player)

PvE is mostly doing missions and quests. You can do missions with other players or with henchmen. NPC's

PvP is what a lot of people play.

Can't really compare to WOW as never played it.

If you were to choose between the 3 I personally would go for the 3rd chapter nightfall. You get the 6 core professions and 2 others to choose from. Prophecies (chapter 1) would be next followed by factions.

If you would like to know anything else you can message me or just reply here.

Smurf Manser

guild wars

it's worthwhile. always free after you get it, and the expansions are great. You can actually intertain yourself for quite a while with prophecies before even getting an expansion.

DCIScouts

VIP Member
I've also played this game for quite awhile, more or less since the original was released a little over 2 years ago. I personally play the PvE a little more than PvP, but both are equally fun, and both are equally engrossing in my opinion. The first one (Guild Wars or Prophecies as it is sometimes called...) is very different from the other two games. Where a lot of people have the most fun is to join a clan or guild and do a lot of PvP battling (and I mean A LOT). Many guild battles can go on for hours if you get into the higher ranks. Otherwise, most are just short battles in a tournament type of style. I kind of look on this game as to what Diablo multiplayer should have been in a lot of ways. It is not nearly the same in storyline and so forth, but the original classes are similar as well as some of the weapons, spells, etc (but definitely not all, a lot are very different...). I do appreciate the fact that once you pay for the game, you can play as much or as little as you want. I would recommend getting Factions, then Nightfall, then if you want to go back and experience the original, then get Prophecies. The reason I put Prophecies last is that the number of people playing that is lower than the other two, and will hamper the game experience some. Also keep in mind you can combine the different versions on the same account at any given time.

bumblebee_tuna

I find one of it's biggest and most annoying flaw is its death and fatigue(?) system. It can really kill a good instance/party.........

DCIScouts

VIP Member
You mean the death penalty? I find that to be a strength that distinguishes itself from other games that are similar. Plus, you can work it off by killing monsters/other players as you gain experience, and if it gets too inhibitive, just return to a town/outpost/camp to reset the penalty or bonus to 0.

Iluvpenguins

Played both WoW(for a year and a half) and Gw(coming up to 2 years in 1 week) extensively,played them both on and off...needless to say I quit WoW 1 year ago and havn't gone back. GW is an acquired taste. Its very laid back and theres no need to have to schedule your life around it which is nice. The expansions are as said above 3 different games,but you connect em all to once account and your characters can hop through them. The TRUE expansion to the game is coming out at the end of this August. WoW and GW are completely different games, uncomparable infact. GW is unique and has a heavy PvP base and a large PvE base and a mix of both too. There is interaction, though its very limited to outposts since its an instanced game. You don't really worry about it too much when you find a good community(alliance) to play with. You can try and get a trial key or i may find one laying around that I can give you!

Forgot to mention, the guildwars team is constantly putting events every weekend for you and whatnot as well as keeping up with updates and adding random crap to the site...imo they are alot more active than the WoW team or any other game team in terms of providing random events and updates.

More about the game...theres 3 seperate stories and theres many different things ya gotta do. Similar to WoW, they have "elite missions" which are missions you enter with a group that are more challenging than the ordinary. You get nice items there and all that good stuff. The skills are many and theres a unique part to the game where you can make your character have its primary class(for example, a warrior) and then a secondary class(lets say an elementalist, which is kinda like a mage). With those kind of combos,you can use the skills of both classes and make some interesting set ups. The game calls for strategic minds as it is not like other games. It only allows you to have 8 skills at a time(hence you have to strategically configure it for whatever the purpose may be). Many find it annoying, but they just lack brains i suppose. Just don't buy the game until you try it!Its an acquired taste as I said and rushing into it might leave you dissapointed.

If you are going to get one...i'd say get either Prophecies(original) or Nightfall because the first has the story that the upcoming expansion will be continuing, and the 3rd is way better than the 2nd(factions). Either of the 3 will let you play the 4th one. If you can though, try and get all 3 of them because it'll really help when you have access to all the skills in the game and the different armors(each game having their own armors and whatnot).

@DCIScouts: I totally agree with the whole diablo resembalance...though 3 of them worked for Blizzard aswell as D2 and Battle.net so i can see why :)

HOLY SMOKES THIS IS FROM 2 MONTHS AGO ALMOST!

I just typed so much for a post that means nothing to the poster anymore

Last edited:

Gravegun

I have a GW, and WoW acounts and I gotta say GW doesn't compare but for its price and if your a strict PvP kinda person it can hit that spot for you....