Hacked router?

bkribbs

Ok so this is completely new to me. My mom the other day insisted she had a virus on her iPad. She was getting all these redirects to the app store. I said sure its probably just sketchy sites you're on. They had also been having DNS issues.

So I go to log into the router, and the login fails. Note that I had changed the router password to one of mine, and that appears to have been changed. It also was not the default, so I know it wasn't reset.

Has anyone ever heard of this? I've since reset the router, but I have no idea how it happened. My mom probably has a virus on her computer, and my sister definitely does as well, so could this be a result of their viruses? Also, should I consider that password compromised everywhere now?

Finally, any suggestions for a good method of limiting what all they are able to install? I may have to implement a parental control type setup...

Agent Smith

What type of router? I know that the Asus RT-N56U and RT-AC66U have been hacked and new firmware is advised. http://securityevaluators.com/knowledge/case_studies/routers/asus_rtn56u.php

As far as app control on a computer I use an older version of Comodo Firewall with defense shield and have a password. You can't execute a lot of stuff without allowing it through Comodo and Comodo is password protected. The easiest way would be to set a limited user account. Make sure you create a Admin account first and that it is passworded.

bkribbs

What type of router? I know that the Asus RT-N56U and RT-AC66U have been hacked and new firmware is advised. http://securityevaluators.com/knowledge/case_studies/routers/asus_rtn56u.php

As far as app control on a computer I use an older version of Comodo Firewall with defense shield and have a password. You can't execute a lot of stuff without allowing it through Comodo and Comodo is password protected. The easiest way would be to set a limited user account. Make sure you create a Admin account first and that it is passworded.

Yeah its just a netgear router. Can't remember the model of the top of my head though. I reset it and have cleaned off one of our computers of viruses and banned the other one from the network until I get a chance to wipe it.

Ok thanks for the advice though, I'll take a look into that if I need it.