Halo1...I'm sad...

mambonuts

I've had Halo2 for the box since release date, and my kids bugged to get Halo1 for the PC since it has multiplayer...etc...

Halo1 is an older game, and I have what I feel is not a snail of a PC...but sufficient enough to run FarCry very well...

Then how come, Halo1 runs painfully slow, when the location gets busy, and the covenant is everywhere...?

Is there a trick, or a setting that I screwed up on?

My PC is:

PIII 1 gig
512mg ram
Radeon 9250 128ram 8x agp
Audigy 2.0 soundcard
20gig HD

I know things can get a little sluggish, when there's a lot of activity on screen...but, this is rediculous... :(

btw...I have tried to upgrade all the patches that were available after I had installed and tried a trial run on the 'Campaign'...but, no difference...

Thanks for any help...

Mambo

Last edited:

mambonuts

I'll post soon with results... :)

And I have...

Rez: 1024x768
Refresh: 60hz
Framerate: 30fps
Specular: Yes
Shadows: Yes
Decals: Yes
Particals: High
Textures: High

That doesn't seem out of the ordinary...? Or enlighten me...hehehe

Last edited:

mambonuts

Hmph...Who would have thought that one adjustment would make so much difference...

I followed some instructions in an article about certain video cards used while playing Halo 1, which only mentioned turning off the Specular setting...and now the game runs like greased lightning...

Awesome...hehehe

Geoff

VIP Member
well, i ran halo on lowest settings possible with these specs:

Celeron D 2.4Ghz
1GB Corsair RAM
40Gb IDE Hard Drive
ATI 9600XT 256MB
i believe the requirments are higher for halo then waht your computer has, halo is a very hardware intensive game, which is why many people use it for a benchmark. You can get a few upgrades or get XBOX Live for your kids.

You need broadband for XBOX Live or to play Halo online with a pc. ANd make sure you join multiplayer games with low ping.

mambonuts

Thanks for all the replies...

I've had a highspeed connection for about a year now, and have Xbox Live! as well...

I guess I should have phrased that differently...hehehe

My kids have finished Halo2 ten times over, and wanted to try playing Halo1 on Xbox. But I decided to get it on PC knowing that there was multiplayer in the PC version of the game...

Sorry about the misunderstanding... ;)

skidude

I miss Halo 1... sigh.... so much better than Halo 2. Is it just me, or does anyone else think Halo 2 was a major dissapontment (single player, not multiplayer)

Geoff

VIP Member
Archangel said:
if you put particles on low, speculair and shadows off. then it should run smoothly :)

not smoothly, i ran it with my specs posted above and it lagged. And he said that he has Halo2 for xbox. You would probably need to upgrade, unless your kids dont mind a little lag and bad graphics.

And i love halo multiplayer on pc also :)

Apathetic

Anyone know why it lags in the warthog even if I turned that feature off that turned off the lust to things?

ilovefishsticks

well it shouldnt be sluggish. i play halo all the time, i used to play on my dell with 2.4 ghts processor, onboard video, and 256 ram. the min requrments for ram are 128 mb, so a ram insufficiency is what would make it move sluggish most the time, and thats not the case.

Geoff

VIP Member
ilovefishsticks said:
well it shouldnt be sluggish. i play halo all the time, i used to play on my dell with 2.4 ghts processor, onboard video, and 256 ram. the min requrments for ram are 128 mb, so a ram insufficiency is what would make it move sluggish most the time, and thats not the case.

i had everything set on low settings, and it only lagged when i was in a vehicle, these were the specs:

Celeron D 2.4Ghz
1GB Corsair DDR400
40GB IDE hard drive
ATI 9600XT 256MB