Hand Held PC (Pocket PC)

rexinre

I am looking to get a pocket PC... Here is why...

Originally I wanted an MP3 Player, but my job got more demanding and my phone's calendar was not getting the job done anymore. So I came to the conclusion to combine them both. A pocket PC that has a calendar/excel/word/and MS Streets & Trips that can play MP3's. What do you think?

After visiting www.dell.com and www.hp.com a few hundred times I began to become more and more confused as to what to get. I don't want something that will crash, or loose my info...

Can anyone steer me in the right direction? Give me any info possible, ie articles or info?

Thanks

P11

VIP Member
i got a Toshiba e350 and its slim/stylish/word/excel/calender/phone book/Optional(ms streets) and mp3's but a sandisk is needed. I use it all the time and battery doesnt run out for a week unless u listen to mp3s - if u do battery will run out in 3-4 days.
Also it should be cheap now but anyways i suggest getting a toshiba e400 cause its cheap and reliable.

rexinre

What is a sandisk?

If it doesn't come with MS Streets how does someone install it? I have MS streets for my home PC, but you just can't install it on a Pocket PC can you?

4W4K3

VIP Member
I used to have a Dell Axim, i liked it. Now they have lil' skinny ones that look pretty good, and i think they are still jsut as fast.

rexinre

Dell was what I was leaning twards... Thanks.

Again I am still looking for some info/input on the 2 questions above.

computerdude2004

You would need to buy MS Streets for the PDA and then you install it through a syncronization with your PC. So you put the CD with the info into your PC's CD drive and then it installs it throught the PDA's connection with the computer.

computerdude2004

Sandisk is a company that manufacturer's portable media cards. They manufacture compact flash cards, memory sticks, xD cards, SD Cards. He is saying that you need like a compact flash card or something to put the MP3's on because there isn't enough space in the PDA's memory or hdd if you want to call it that.

Sandisk - http://www.sandisk.com/

rexinre

OOOHHHHH... thank you very much for the info computerdude! I have a few of them lying around the house...

Thanks again! This site rocks BTW!

rexinre

One more quick question... Prob a dumb one but who cares anyways... Is there a way to get a bigger HD on the handheld?

computerdude2004

No. If you want a bigger hdd on your handheld you have to buy a new one with larger memory. It isn't that big a pain to use removable media for memory. It should work fine to have a sandisk card.

rexinre

Ok, thanks again... I am prob going to get the biggest hdd dell offers in their handheld. Plus I will use the sandisk cards as well!

Echo_

the dells use compact flash not sandisks btw and u can buy those when you purchase your handheld. have fun :d

computerdude2004

Yeah, Compact Flash cards are really getting cheap. I use them for my digital camera. I love how much they have gone down in price. San Disk is a company, not a specific type of removable media like Compact Flash is. Compact Flash cards write quickly so you don't need to worry about a lot of lag or write time.

Last edited: