hard drive cloning

DirtyD86

banned
here is what i want to do: i have three hard drives currently, one 120gb that came with my emachines a few years ago, a 250 7200 and a 500 7200. i use the 500 for media, and the 120 for my OS and programs. the 250 is blank right now. i want to transfer my OS and all my programs to the 250 and get rid of the 120 altogether. the way i have it pictured in my head is cloning the contents of the 120 to the 250, then changing the boot priority in my BIOS and taking the 120 out of my computer. would it boot with no issues? would my vista cdkey be affected at all? what software if any do i need to make this happen?

thanks in advance

sync

Well there are a few programs you could use, personally i've managed to do exactly what you've described using norton ghost. There are others like acronis true image. You might be able to get a trial version for either one. Not sure if there are any free software out there but i know the two i mentioned work.

The only issue is if the hard drive you're cloning is going on a totally different machine as there might be some driver problems if you do this. What computer is the 120gb on? are you only working with one pc?

DirtyD86

banned
The only issue is if the hard drive you're cloning is going on a totally different machine as there might be some driver problems if you do this. What computer is the 120gb on? are you only working with one pc?

same exact machine and components, just want to swap one hard drive for another. thanks for the information, i will be trying this later :good: