Hard drive noise

Respital

Hi everyone, hope all is well.

Lately when I've been on the computer I've found a strange noise to be coming from my hard drives, not sure which one at the moment. I have a WD red 2TB, and two WD blacks; 1TB and 5TB. I was wondering if perhaps the noise may be from the hard drive spinning up and stopping several times, or if I should be more worried about the clicking noise of death. SMART is showing all drives are in good shape, but is there a specific parameter that I should be looking at which could help determine which drive is more worn down than the others?

Many thanks in advance.

johnb35

Administrator
Staff member
Smart means nothing really. On most scans, smart will pass while extended test will fail. You'll need to run Western Digital diagnostics on each drive to determine what drive may be bad, always run the extended test and not the quick test.

Respital

Smart means nothing really. On most scans, smart will pass while extended test will fail. You'll need to run Western Digital diagnostics on each drive to determine what drive may be bad, always run the extended test and not the quick test.

Thanks, running an extended test on my 5TB black right now. When the test started there was quite a bit of noise but it was quiet after a few moments. Is that normal?

johnb35

Administrator
Staff member
You better replace whatever drive is making that noise. Its gonna crash sooner rather then later. Click of death dude.

Respital

Shooooooot. Any experience with WD if they'll RMA a drive with the click of death? It should still be under warranty. Odd that the noise only happens with short reads/writes. When I ran the test it was loud to start but fine after a few minutes... :/

johnb35

Administrator
Staff member
You should have no problem rmaing the drive back to WD if it's under warranty. Just tell them that the drive is clicking.