Hard drive not as big

tommy060289

hi, I recently bought a new hard drive. The drive size is 250GB, I took out my old hard drive and installed the new one with a fresh start. In my computer the hard drive only shows up as 125GB, why is this?

Tom

Cromewell

Administrator
Staff member
that is a windows partition size limitation, you can use 3rd party software to partition it to the full size

MADKING153

I just have the same problems..Now even i open partition magic , it only recognize i got 128GB ( instead of 200gb) . In device mangement , it also recognize my HD only got 128gb ....How is this happen ?

tommy060289

i have found out how to work partition manager but everytime I try to do something it says it is a trial version and wont do it, were can I get similar software for free?

tommy060289

on the box it says gericom but on the actual harddrive it says western digital so I presume gericom just put there name on it.

Cromewell

Administrator
Staff member
if you have windows 200x server you can use that to partition the entire drive, or try making 2 partitions and merging them with partition magic

Praetor

Administrator
Staff member
so windows diesnt allow above 125GB
Its 127GB

what are these third party programs you speak of.
Partition magic is one

In device mangement , it also recognize my HD only got 128gb ....How is this happen ?
Thats another limitation (not a windows thing). .... you need to make partitions, each of which can be limited to 127GB