Hard Drive Not Reading but has a noise (mp3 inc.)

Hi Guys,

My external hard drive has stopped reading on my computer and has a lot of photos on it. Was backing them up to that before a DVD disk and disaster struck.

I have recorded the sound it is making and you can hear it on this link that i've uploaded it to my website (as mp3 upload isn't allowed in the upload attachment option)
http://www.charliearchibald.com/hard-drive-noise.mp3

I have tried various hard drive recovery software but the hard drive won't read so I can even search it for them.

Can anyone suggest what to do now? Stumped with ideas!

Thanks in advance

eScrapAuctions

Hi Guys,

My external hard drive has stopped reading on my computer and has a lot of photos on it. Was backing them up to that before a DVD disk and disaster struck.

I have recorded the sound it is making and you can hear it on this link that i've uploaded it to my website (as mp3 upload isn't allowed in the upload attachment option)
http://www.charliearchibald.com/hard-drive-noise.mp3

I have tried various hard drive recovery software but the hard drive won't read so I can even search it for them.

Can anyone suggest what to do now? Stumped with ideas!

Thanks in advance

Aloha,

I've encountered this a few times on external hard drives. First, if you have access, I would try plugging it into a different computer/port to see if you can see the drive.

If that doesn't work, you could always try remove the drive and trying another enclosure. (Risk involved, so make sure you research this prior to attempting).

Was the drive in the process of moving data when this sound occurred or when you plugged it in?

i backed up about 80gb last night before bed to disks. Put the machine on today and then turned my external drive on and its making that noise now and it won't read in my computer so can't open it or try and use a recovery tool as it doesn't seem to be finding it

eScrapAuctions

i backed up about 80gb last night before bed to disks. Put the machine on today and then turned my external drive on and its making that noise now and it won't read in my computer so can't open it or try and use a recovery tool as it doesn't seem to be finding it

Try unplugging it and using a different USB port and see if it kicks on normally for you.

voyagerfan99

Master of Turning Things Off and Back On Again
Staff member
Sounds like the arm is moving and the drive is trying to spin up. It's most likely shot.