HArd Drive not responding

camel lips

New Member
I am trying to install windows xp on a brand new WD SATA hard drive.HD was formatted on a separate operating computer through windows FAT prior to putting it on this other computer.It shows healthy in the other computer.

The computer I am trying to install it on is a Hp Pavillion a 720N.

Windows xp disk starts up just fine but when it comes time to find the HD to load it,,it finds NOne.

It had a IDE HD when I got it that was FUBAR

Its like the SATA ports are not working.Do I need to wake up the sata ports on this board and if so how do I do that?
 
Its like the SATA ports are not working.Do I need to wake up the sata ports on this board and if so how do I do that?


At the phoenix award bios utility cmos window Ive rooted around there to see if there is some way to wake up the sata ports and all I see is stuff about the IDE.

I gotta get this computer up and running today.Anyone help?????????
 
You probably need to get your Sata drivers from HP and put them on a floppy. When you boot to the XP cd at about the second screen at the bottom it says press F6 to install third party drivers, pop the floppy in press F6. A little later in the install it will copy them off.
 
Last edited:
I just spent the last hour online with a HP tech.It seems this motherboard uses sata instead of sata2 hd.Its a compatibility issue they say.

Are there any SATA HD out there?old style maybe?
 
What is the difference between Serial ATA and Serial ATA 2?

Its Sata 1.5 and Sata 3.0. The group that developed Sata 3.0s name was SATA II, they changed there name to SATA-IO to help people to stop calling it Sata II.

Its the transfer rate of 1.5Gb/s and 3.0Gb/s
 
Back
Top