Hard Drive Problem - Please Help

tomb08uk

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Hi, Please help me i have just built my first ever pc and i have just checked to see if everything is operating correctly and have realised when i go to"My Computer" and click on my hard disc ( C it says total capicity being 127GB?

The drive is a serial ATA and im not sure if i am meant to install a driver to tell the motherboard it is and serial ATA and the motherboard does support serial ATA.

Please Reply

Thanks

Tomb08uk

Yeti

VIP Member
Do you have a service pack installed? If so go to the drive manager - right click my computer -> manage -> disk management. You should see the ~30 GB that you're missing as an unpartitioned space. You can format it from there.

tomb08uk

No i dont have a service pack, just windows xp pro standard wioth no service pack.
I have gone to the maxtor web site and downloaded a file which aparenlty does the same as the service pack which enables windows to see the hard disc.

Thanks for the help

Yeti

VIP Member
I'd recommend getting a service pack anyway. If you haven't installed too much on your drive you can slipstream windows XP with a service pack and reinstall windows so you can have a single 160 GB partition instead of the ~130+30