Hard drive problem??

MeatBridge

Sometimes while trying to open folders on my hard drive, my computer will take a long time to open the folder but the HD activity light will always stay on. Im not sure why this is happening but I ran the benchmark test on PC Wizard and my C partion has a write speed of around 25 MBs and read around 350MBs, but when I test my D partition it has a write of around 17MBs and read of about 330MBs, is this normal for two partions on one drive having such different speeds?

If it helps its a 60 Gig WD HD partition C is about 40GB(has windows) and D is about 20GB.

Could my hard drive be on its way out?

Last edited:

MeatBridge

Ok Im running disk keeper lite on it nw but am concerned because D had no fragmented files but C had some.

I just thought of another thing that happened about 2 weeks ago I closed my door (to comp) and got an error message saying files and data could not be read, but haven't gotten it since.

One last thing sometimes I can hear the HD shut off and then turn back on, but Im not sure if it is because of windows trying to shut down the HD to save power or not.

Praetor

Administrator
Staff member
is this normal for two partions on one drive having such different speeds?
1. Its not that different.
2. Both are slow. Have a look to see fi you have DMA enabled :)