Hard Drive problems- What's wrong? Please help!

Official

Toshiba Satellite L305-S5955 Laptop.

I press the power button and it takes me to this...

Windows error recovery

Windows failed to start. A recent hardware or software change might be there cause
If windows files have been damaged or configured incorrectly, startup repair can help diagnose and fix the problem. if power was interrupted during startup, choose windows start normally.

Launch Startup repair(recommended)
Start windows normally

Then when I press enter on ''start windows normally'', it shows as loading... but never loads completely to take me to the SIGN IN screen to put my password.

Now, when I press enter on ''Launch Startup repair" it then takes me to this...

Window has encountered a problem communicating with a device connected to your computer.

Then it says,

This error can be cause by unplugging a removeable storage device such as an external usb drive while the device is in use, or by faulty hardware such as hard drive or CD-ROM drive that is failing. Make sure any removeable storage is properly connected and then restart your computer.

If you continue to receive this error message, contact the hardware manufacturer.

Info: An unexpected I/O error has occurred.

***NOTE***: I have located and removed the hard-drive to test it under the same exact laptop and the results are the same.

Is is possible for me to recover valuable data?(All saved in a Notepad)
How? Is there a solution? I really can't afford to lose it.

Please help.

Thank You

Last edited:

Official

I also pressed F9 and won't take me to safe mode either, just the same black and white screen with the same information above.

ElenaP

You should get the hard drive out of the laptop and connect the drive to another known-good Windows system (e.g. using an USB box), so you boot from the known-good Windows installation, not from your laptop drive. If the drive is visible in Windows Explorer then just copy the data over to the good PC and then check the drive using diagnostic tools.

If you can't see the drive in Windows Explorer but see it in Disk Management, you try any of the data recovery software.