Hard Drive (SSD) Disappeared

Discussion in 'Computer Memory and Hard Drives' started by TheNamelessPoet, Nov 20, 2018.

1. TheNamelessPoet

TheNamelessPoet Member

So I think my OS SSD died :-( Now I need to get another one. I need it ONLY for the OS, I have a 1TB regular drive that works fine, I don't REALLY need an SSD, but I am spoiled with boot times (not that I ever turn my desktop off lmao)

ANYWAY
    #1 is there a way to possibly clone the drive somehow? It is not registering at all in my bios. Any particular reason to NOT buy a Kingston A400 if it is ONLY for the OS?

Any reason I need more than 256MB Cache? The Gigabyte PRO256 is $40 right now. Is there any reason to spend about 40+% more and get the Samsung MZ-76E250B/AM at $58 for the 512MB Cache (besides I can get it 6 days sooner)?

OR do I REALLY nead the Cache and should I just go with the a400 and spend only $24 (or the Gigabyte 120 which also has no cache)?

I put the MB and Processor and video card on with the different drives here https://pcpartpicker.com/list/kfsvhy

2. johnb35

johnb35 Administrator Staff Member

If it was me, I would get the Samsung. If the drive doesn't even show in the bios, there isn't much you can do. What about trying it on a different pc? Made sure the both data and power cable is connected securely? Maybe a bad cable?

3. OmniDyne

OmniDyne Active Member

You should absolutely avoid the A400. It is not a suitable OS drive.

https://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/gigabyte-ud-pro-ssd-sata,5709-3.html

Tom's Hardware reviewed the UD Pro. I would avoid it. Uses an older controller. There are much better drives for the same price.

Definitely not. It is not a suitable OS drive.

Last edited: Nov 20, 2018
  4. TheNamelessPoet

TheNamelessPoet Member

I thought of that. I swapped the optical drive cables and still nothing. Good thought tho.

And this is the only PC I have. We have only my wife's laptop (which I am on now)

Damn, OK :-(

5. TheNamelessPoet

TheNamelessPoet Member

I just realized something else... what do I do about windows... I can't find my drive, and I have no way to get the code do I?

6. johnb35

johnb35 Administrator Staff Member

If it windows 10 then it will automatically activate once its at the desktop screen.

7. TheNamelessPoet

TheNamelessPoet Member

I found my old Laptop hard drive so I can at LEAST get my PC up and running. And its back on Windows 7 which I MISS lol
    just have to install all the drivers and BOOM back in buisness

8. OmniDyne

OmniDyne Active Member

If the SSD is dead, how much are you looking to spend?

9. TheNamelessPoet

TheNamelessPoet Member

and no, I refused the update to windows 10. I HATED 10. Still not a big fan and if I could I would be using XP still. Yea Yea Yea its old, out dated blah blah blah, I prefer the look and non bloatware of XP... different convo for a different thread however.

10. TheNamelessPoet

TheNamelessPoet Member

Nothing HAH I didn't want to replace it lol.

now that I found my old HD tho, I need it to last me a week and I will check out the Black Friday / Cyber Monday deals :) I would like to take it as absolutely MINIMAL as possible, like under $30 but if I Need to I can go up to $50. I am tempted to just get one when this reguar HD dies. Honestly I play minecraft and watch downloaded TV on the PC lol.

11. OmniDyne

OmniDyne Active Member

Well don't go too cheap, or else you may have another blow out ha.