hard drive temp

my laptop fan was running a lot even though i didn't find it hot,and the cpu was at 0% so I downloaded two different temperature monitoring programs and the temps were all good, except the hard drive temp, both programs say the hard drive is 32 degrees F (0 degrees C) obviously it isn't freezing because its 70F in my house and everything else was normal, I have used the programs before and they were correct why are they so off now? The fan has gone down now but I would still like to know why the hard drive temp is so wrong.
(HP pavillion dv6000 windows xp media canter edition 2005 (pro) intel cpu)

Casey

Sounds like the temp is just off or the fans are being protective. But I warn you I had that same laptop and the mobo overheated and it died within months. So be careful.

superv1sor

If the mobo overheated that could be the problem, it could just be reading it wrong because of that problem. I'm glad I don't own one, GL.

Last edited:

einstein31

A quick fix to this is to buy a external fan for your computer. There fans contour to the laptops undercarriage and contribute to the laptops cooling system. If your laptop fan has gone out completely that you will have to get it replaced or do that yourself.

i had one of those external fans but the wire broke and it was kind of annoying to use anyway. I usually (out of habit) pick up the edge of the laptop when the fan kicks on, or if I fell it getting hot. Its still reading 32F but its not hot (or that cold) i have all my things backed up so it won't be too bad if it does fry. And i did know about the overheating problem, a friend had one that lasted 10 months and the mobo burned.