Harddrive disc image?

CartmanDP1

Is there a program that will allow me to make a disc image of my entire harddrive that I can store on an external harddrive so that I can format the original harddrive and then reinstall windows using the image? I know acronis true image and nero ghost allow you to make an image but from what i've read you cannot format the harddrive and then use the image.

PC eye

banned
When cloning a drive the image goes onto a blank drive with nothing on it. That means no existing primary. If you want the drive reformatted if you are having problems those will be included in the disk image you make.

You would be better off simply creating a large backup of anything important to see the original primary deleted and a brand new one for a clean fresh install of Windows and all programs. You would need to delete the current primary in order to see the disk image replace it anyways.

jgotfire

Norton ghost is what you are looking for. I have not owned a NTSF version but it worked good before NTSF for me.

PC eye

banned
Norton Ghost has the rep for being able to clone an installation from one drive to an identical one. But if this is being done as a way to correct problems being seen with the current copy of Windows and why the need for a reformat of the drive any clone will bring the same problems right back.

The best move if that's the case is to simply backup anything you want to keep and start over fresh. If the current drive was being replaced due to an emminent failure with the exact same make and model you would simply be preserving the current installation.

malikah

Norton Ghost has the rep for being able to clone an installation from one drive to an identical one. But if this is being done as a way to correct problems being seen with the current copy of Windows and why the need for a reformat of the drive any clone will bring the same problems right back.

I actually looked into this (Norton Ghost 14.0) and it doesn't have any options for a bit-for bit clone. I too am trying to clone a freshly installed Windows XP with drivers and service packs already installed, but so far no luck. Do you know something we dont? Please share:D

Last edited:

PC eye

banned
I know the older versions of Ghost were the most common rec for cloning given out by most. Here I simply see a clean install on a new fresh primary for the best results. That's mainly from not being strapped to a one drive system as I did at one point.