Harddrives with CD rom question

curtains

is it bad to run ur harddrive with ur cd-rom on the same ide port cause i have 3 hdd and a cd rom cause i fried one but i didnt no they would replace it so i jst bout another ide one if i knew i woulda got a sata one so if it is bad 2 have ur hard drive on the same as ur cd rom why and how bad is it can someone explain

curtains

ok.. cause someone told me it was .. so i thought i'd jst find out .. if it was that bad .. but i guess not cause i coulda pulled out one

heyman421

banned
i had my dvd recorder and my 2nd hard drive on the same channel, and it worked fine

sometimes the hard drive would bog down when i insterted a disc (while it was mounting) and sometimes it would also bog down while doing a 16x burn, and i noticed an increase in cache-rundown on the burner if i was using the hard drive at the same time.

not a huge deal at all, tho

The_Other_One

VIP Member
I hear people say if you run a hard drive with a CD-ROM slave, you get slower performace because most CD-ROM's only run at ATA33 where as HD's typically run at ATA100/133. Though I've never officially tested this, I have run both types of drives on the same channel and they showed up at their correct speeds.