Hardware advice for new system

sadipuff

New Member
Can I get some feedback on the minimum specs I would need realistically given the following needs:

* Dual 24" monitor system.
* Run a second operating system in a VM (Windows/Linux configuration).
* Minimum 1TB HDD.
* Wireless keyboard, mouse.
* Dual-monitor frame with swivel capability.

Usage:
* Dozens of apps and browser tabs open at the same time.
* Apps are primarily business programs: no video editing, photoshop.

Is 6GB DDR3 sufficient, or should I shoot for 8?
Would a 512MB graphics card suffice for my dual-monitor needs, including video playback?

I was looking at the Intel i5 650, but noticed that for a similar price I can get an Athlon x4 635 which, according to http://www.cpubenchmark.net/cpu_list.php significantly outperforms the i5 650. Taking into account cost and upgrade potential, does anyone have a recommendation on which way to go?

I would love to get out of this for $AU2000, but it's starting to look unrealistic. The problem is that I don't know what processor I would need to achieve my goals. The benchmark numbers are just numbers to me.

I am researching solely through the Sydney-based company MSY, as I've heard good things. However, they no longer provide DDR2 systems on their systems page. If I were willing to have a dual boot Windows/Linux system, rather than running one OS in a VM, would it be worth my while (and feasible from a performance point of view) to try and get a cheaper, DDR2 system?

Thanks!
 
Alrightey, go to www.umart.com.au and see if there are any locations that you live near. As a fellow aussie, umart would be best suited for you and this as cheap, sometimes even cheaper than online and you can pick it up so there isn't the hassle of shipping. Also note, $2000 will easily achieve what you need. I can get a build up for you, but I need to know where you will be purchasing from. A 512mb are will be fine for dual monitors and video playback, though are you going to game at all?
3
Edit: just realised, that you were in Sydney, thats ok, MSY is pretty good as well apart from the horrible lines and being one step up from a garage :P

Right, I've read through you're post a bit more thoroughly, and noticed that you mentioned about considering to grab an i3, but having a $2000 budget, why would you grab an i3? With 2k you could get a decent i5 machine, with 2 24" monitors, withh Linux and Win7. Give me 5 mins or so and I'll get a build up for you.

Motherboard - Gigabyte P55A UD4P - $216

CPU - Intel Core i5 750 - $230

Ram - 4G Kit DDR3 1333 G.Skill-NT - $130 (Btw, ddr2 was phased out not long ago :D)

Case - Coolermaster rc 690 - $146

PSU - Corsair vx550w - $105

GPU - PowerColor 5450 512mb - $55

OS - Win 7 home premium 64bit - $106

Monitor - Acer X243HQ x 2 - $460

Total - $1460
 
Last edited:
Thanks so much for getting back to me.
The answer to all your "why would you...?" questions is because I'm ignorant, hehe :)

It's really nice of you to offer to give me an example build. I've noticed I can get 23" 1920*1080 monitors for a fair bit cheaper than 24" units. Do you think I'd be better going for the smaller monitors?
I can spend $2000, but that's a maximum I'd love to go under. I'd be willing to sacrifice graphics, RAM, CPU and the monitor if need be.

I don't do any gaming.
I'd basically be using the system to have multiple office programs open, 50+ browsing tabs or 50+ internet poker tables open (but not all three at the same time).

Thanks :)
 
I put this together through MSY

Gigabyte EP41T-UD3L
Intel i5 750
4GB DDR3 1333 Memory (Intel Approved)
1TB SATA 2 Hard Disk
1TB Nvidia GT220 2D/3D PCI-E Video Card
2 * 23" Acer X233HB monitors (1920*1080)
Windows 7 Home @ student price ($50)
A-Power Quality USB2.() Front Medium Tower Case
Microsoft Retail Wireless Desktop 1000
Microsoft VX-500 Web-Cam
Dual Layer DVD-+RW Burner
Hyundai Z-10 2.0 Speakers System
High Definition Audio CODEC 6 Channel Sound Integrated
Gigabit 10/100/1000 Fast Xet ork Card (Integrated)
Genuine Intel Boxed Cooling Fan

$1410

What do you think of that? Would you up or lower the specs of any particular component?

Thanks again, Fatality
 
That motherboard will not work for socket 1156. The Gigabyte P55A UD4P is a good choice :D I'd also swap the gt220 for the other GPU I mentioned in my first post. Its good to see some aussies on the forum :D I also rather the Logitech x-230 speakers as they provide much better value for the price. Also, ditch the A-power for good. I'm guessing that the case comes with a PSU, correct? With lower quality PSUs, 1, they cannot usually provide what they state, and 2 there is a good chance that the PSU will go up in smoke and possibly kill some of your other components in the process.

Edit: Can I have some more information on the HDD? Note that when choosing HDDs, Western Digital usually provide the best quality.
 
Last edited:
1TB Nvidia GT220 2D/3D PCI-E Video Card

1) That's GB, not TB

2)This card sucks, get a 4850/5770/GTS 250, for something a bit lower, 5670/4830, and for something even lower, 4670.For something higher, I recommend GTX 260 core 216/ GTX 275.
 
Ignore that load of bollocks, Sadipuff, he obviously hasn't read your post. And rogue, he is looking for a card that has dual monitor capabilities and cable of handling video playback, not a gaming card.
 
the 5770 can handle both, i have one. and it is nice to see more aussies on here :)

The 5670 would do, but it lacks 2x DVI ports, it only has one.

On second though get a 5750, same features as the 5770 and it will still do video playback and editing and stuff.
 
the 5770 can handle both, i have one. and it is nice to see more aussies on here :)

The 5670 would do, but it lacks 2x DVI ports, it only has one.

On second though get a 5750, same features as the 5770 and it will still do video playback and editing and stuff.


Yes:good:
 
Here's round 2. How does this seem?

Motherboard----- Gigabyte P55A UD4P....................................218
CPU------------- i5 750.................................... 229
RAM-------------4g DDR3 1300 G-skill....................................126
OS-------------- Win 7 home premium 64 bit *student price*.......50
Case-------------Coolermaster rc 690....................................146
Monitor-----------Acer X243HQ x 2 .................................... 460
HDD------------- WD SATA 1TB.................................... 105
PSU------------- Corsair vx550.................................... 106
GPU------------- PowerColor 5450 512mb...............................55
KB, Mouse--------Microsoft cordless desktop 1000....................39
Speakers-------- Logitech X230 2.1.................................... 49
Service (build) charge--------MSY.................................... 70

TOTAL 1653

Few comments/questions:
Is it important to get such an expensive case? e.g. cooling issues?
Do I need to buy this PSU as a protective measure? I wouldn't have known to buy one if it wasn't for the suggestion.
MSY tack on an exorbitant service charge if you don't choose one of their system packages. Do you guys think it is reasonable/I have other options?

Linkin, I looked up the 5770 and at $179 it is too much of a difference from the $55 Powercolor unless I would expect inadequate performance with the 512MB GPU. The 4670 would be in my price range, so thankyou, Rogue01. I've had a few people say they think I wouldn't need a lot in the way of graphics performance, so if the 5450 Powercolor will suffice then I don't mind. If you guys really think I might experience GUI lag with the 5450 Powercolor, I would be willing to spring for the 1GB 5750.

This forum is pretty great; cheers again.
 
Last edited:
Absolutely perfect :D Wouldn't change a thing. You're going to be very happy with that rig. Actually, I think MSY require you to get a 650w, otherwise they won't build it. It's kinda dumb, as 550w will power your rig easily... Just check up with them on that. And there's alot more to a PSU then the wattage. you don't want to waste such a good system in the event the PSU fails. I think $70 is pretty reasonable for them to build it. Off topic question: Can you just go in to MSY and tell them you're a student and they will give it to you're $50?

EDIT: It is not ABSOLUTELY necessary to get a good case, but by doing so, your giving the components more room to "breath" and keeping them cooler, therefore being able to overclock them higher, and having a better lifespan. You wouldn't want such a good system in a cheap case, anyway :D
 
Last edited:
You have helped IMMENSELY! Thank you!

Your reasoning for the PSU + better case are convincing, and I'll try the whole "I'm a student, can I have a discount?" thing.

I don't actually have any remaining questions. Have a great night, mate.
 
Sadipuff,

If the 4670 is in your price range, go for it over the 5450.It's more powerful as a card, generally, and more power never hurts.Runs pretty cool and little needed in wattage, too.
 
Last edited:
Back
Top