Hardware Decisions

kswindell

From what i've read the Intel is better for gaming regardless which is most of what i want to do. Would this be accurate assumption?

So far i've decided for sure on the Soundblaster X-FI Fatality Titanium Sound Card

I think the i7 2600k is also for sure. Is there anything above that worth getting or does it just become a waste of money? (Not opposed to spending)

I would like to run dual video cards. I think the 6950 2gb seems to be the best for the price. From what i've read 2 of these is about as good as it gets without breaking the bank? Is there anything worth having above this thats not insanely more? Obviously i'd like this stuff to last for several years to come an run at full specs on most anything. If this is what i should get i noticed there are several different versions of this one. Is there a specific one better than others? Also is this motherboard good for holding dual cards? I know a lot of factors come into play. Be patient I'm learning...

I would like to do 8 gb Ram i believe its called Ripsaw i've seen a lot of people like? I would like the option to go to 16 or 24gb in the future. Will this set up hold that?

Everything else i'll decide on after i get these main pieces picked.

Thanks for the help. Really appreciate everyones input

claptonman

I said a lot of this in the other thread, but I'll repeat some of it.

What motherboard did you pick out?

Most will tell you an i5 2500k will work just fine, even if you have a lot of stuff open. The 2600k is for CPU intense rendering like photoshop and things like that. And even some will tell you an AMD x4 955 is just fine for gaming, which I think it is, too. CPU does matter when gaming, but it doesn't matter as much as the GPU.

I would recommend just getting one single card for now, and if it doesn't play the games the way you like, get another card. There's problems with cooling, noise, drivers, and sometimes certain games have problems with running two cards at once.

What resolution are you planning on playing at?

8GB is more than enough. You'll see no difference going from 8GB to 16GB when playing games.

jonnyp11

for the ram part, really 4gb's is enough, my dad handles huge files as in about 8+gb's of photos editing them with high end programs so went from 4 to 12 and said he basically wasted the money, over 4 is only used by high end video editing normally. again, like clapt said, the 2600k willk be the same as tha ram, only used in high end video editing, encoding, and decoding, other wise the 2500k is more than enough, a 2100 is more powerfull than any game recomends really, but running gfx cards like that you have to have a powerfull enough cpu to keep up with them.

kswindell

Motherboard i was either gonna do:

ASUS P8Z68 Pro

or

ASUS MAXIMUS IV EXTREME LGA 1155 Rebublic of Gamers Intel Z68 DDR3 2400 ATX Motherboard

http://www.compubees.com/asus-maximus-iv-extreme-z-lga1155-intel-z68-ddr3_330_23438.html

Remember some of this may be overkill but I'm trying to have something beyond necessary now so its still on par in a few years.

As far as the cooling goes I'm intrigued by the water cooling an wanna custom do my own.

A lot of this will simply be for show. Not just function.