Hardware problem

hitmanpete

Hi everyone this is my first build and im very stuck. Please help :(

I have just assembled a custom PC with the specs:

http://www.ebuyer.com/product/140041 - motherboard
http://www.ebuyer.com/product/146429 - Graphics card

and PSU - OCZ mod xstream 780w

I have just assembled this PC and tried booting it up and getting no display on the screen not even showing the BIOS. I have tried HDMI / DIV. I have tried two screen with different cables and on both ports on the card. The card has two six molex connects connected and the fan starts on the card and the system fans start. There is no beep codes when i boot up and also i have tried resetting the CMOS. I think this card is faulty or a compatibility issue. Can you please check and confirm if there is a computability issue and also anything else i can try.

Thanks for your help,

ScOuT

VIP Member
That card will work in that motherboard.

- Do you have the 8 pin motherboard power cable connected? The motherboard looks like it has an 8 pin connector with a plastic cap on 4 of the pins, do you have the correct cable connected to the right spot? It will tell you in the manual what it needs.

- How do you have your graphics card cables connected? When I built mine I had one of the 6 pin cables backward, they fit in the PSU and the card both ways but the end that says PCI of course goes in the card. I was getting excited and threw the cables on :) Mine would not boot either, switched them and fired right up:)

- What do you have for RAM? Are they seated good? Try just using just one stick in the first DIMM slot and see what happens.

- What do you have for a CPU cooler? A friend of mine asked me to look at his rig and it would not even go into the BIOS either. His water pump did not work and the processor was over heating soo fast it would shut down and not let you into the BIOS.

- What slot do you have the graphics card in....the top one right? try taking it out and re-seating it.

These are just a few things I would check off the top of my head. Write back and let me know what happens. I know a few Asus motherboards well...I have worked with them for a while.
CPU Cooler : Cooler Master Hyper TX2
RAM : Corsair XMS2 Pro/pc6400/ 4x1GB/ @800 MHz
Graphics : Evga 9800 GTX @ 760 MHz
PSU : Antec Neo Power 650w / modular cables
OP: Vista Home Pre 64 bit

hitmanpete

Thanks for ur help m8, i have it in the top slot and it is seated right. The card requires 2x6 pin molex and im sure they are the right way as it has a little hole for the button to get them back out. And im using the cpu cooler that comes with the Q6600 processor for now but i have a artic cooler 7 pro. On the mobo yer i do and im sure its the right one, coz the light comes on, on the board. I am using 4gb of DDr2 ram at 1000mhz its OZ. http://www.ebuyer.com/product/141930

hitmanpete

I am just going to try some of the things that sc0ut said then i will try that but i think it could be a faulty card. BTW thanks for all the support, grate members here.

ScOuT

VIP Member
Ok.....so it's not your cooler.

Try just booting with one DIMM slot filled.....The RAM you have will work in the board.

Asus motherboards don't really like OCZ RAM. A look through the Asus forum and you will see.....Asus+OCZ=unstable:(

Did you reseat the card?

How are you running your 6 pin cables? Do you have them branched off of 4 pin power connectors? Does your PSU have modular cables? This is what I mean below, are you using these?
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16812189120

ScOuT

VIP Member
Make sure the one you plug into the PSU is not backward, like I did and told you about in the post before. It pissed me off and took me about 3 hours of trying to boot just to find out the cable was backward. They will plug in both ways:)

Is the two sticks or RAM in the right slots? 1 & 3?

Are you with your computer or close by?

Last edited:

hitmanpete

I just tried unplugging everything then plugging it back in then i tried booting with only the basic hardware and only one stick of ram and it shall had no display

ScOuT

VIP Member
the manual says "make sure the 8 pin CPU power connector is attached" must be all 8?

Hey....I was just reading your motherboard manual.....to run 1066 MHz RAM you need to go to "Extreme Tweeker Menu" in the BIOS, you might not even be able to post with that RAM at first. Do you have some 800 MHz or 667 MHz RAM to try and post with?

hitmanpete

No but my friend is going to bring around his 9600gt 2moz coz i though the problem was my gfx card just to test and he has ddr2 800mhz ram so i could try some of that 2moz, do you think that would be a good idea?

StrangleHold

Staff member
Are you sure you got all the standoffs under the board in the right places? The clrtc_sw resets the bios, should be disable.

Last edited:

hitmanpete

Are you on about the gold things under the mobo? no i dont think i have there are two missing on the bottom right two, would that make a difference i didn't think that mattered?