has anyone overclocked their laptops?

speshuled

just like that tittle asks. has anyone overclocked their laptop? just curious if i can squeeze even just a little more from my cpu.

ed

bumblebee_tuna

Sorry to discourage you but it's a very bad idea from the start.

Laptops are usually aren't very well cooled or ventilated and will quickly overheat from the stresses of overclocking. Depending on the manufacturer, overclocking may also result in the void of any existing warranty. And, if anything should happen, finding and replacing parts for a laptop is much harder than you would with a desktop.

Last edited:

speshuled

Sorry to discourage you but it's a very bad idea from the start.

Laptops are usually aren't very well cooled or ventilated and will quickly overheat from the stresses of overclocking. Depending on the manufacturer, overclocking also may result in the void of any existing warranty. And, if anything should happen, finding and replacing parts for a laptop is much harder than you would with a desktop.

alright thanks. it was just a thought.

ed

brian

VIP Member
Also overclocking does not help much. Your talking about a few mhz or so. I would just get a good laptop to start with and it will be fast enough. Or just get a desktop which has better speeds then a laptop

The_Other_One

VIP Member
My previous laptop actually had desktop components in it and had some options for minor overclocking in the bios. But even at stock speeds, that thing got HOT! And if you need any more messages to discourage you, search for posts regarding laptops overheating...

anothEr

i cant overclock my cpu even if i raise the temp. instead i undervolt. it saves about 20 min of battery life. it also keeps it cool and quiet. :D

luckyedboy66

i cant overclock my cpu even if i raise the temp. instead i undervolt. it saves about 20 min of battery life. it also keeps it cool and quiet. :D
thats not a bad idea...it would be nice to sqeeze a few more minutes out of my 17" 2.0 dual core. i got the premo battery, but it still will barely finish a DVD before it dies...
any tips?? i think i have a over/underclocking program, but this is new territory for me.

bumblebee_tuna

I guess the easiest way is to lower multiplier if you can. You can lower FSB but unless you have locks, you are going to also underclock your RAM as well as you PCI and VGA buses........

luckyedboy66

I guess the easiest way is to lower multiplier if you can. You can lower FSB but unless you have locks, you are going to also underclock your RAM as well as you PCI and VGA buses........
that is so over my bloody head...i figured it would be relatively simple to underclock the cpu, but you gotta do the ram, pci and vga?!? i guess the cpu drags everything down with it...what program would you use? i have 'speed fan', but thats a temp monitoring program that does OCing on the side...

bumblebee_tuna

It's not the CPU that brings it down but the Front Side Bus or the FSB which controls everything. The best way to OC is to go into your laptop's bios (hammer away at F8 or Delete after you turn it on.....) and see if you have any clocks or frequencies options. Like other people have said, your bios or options might be locked and you won't be able to UC by simple means. If they're not, again, the easiest possible way to UC is to lower the multiplier as it won't affect any of the buses. Make sure you only do it reasonable levels so your lappy is still functional.

Last edited:

kof2000

you can overclock some video card to a point where it is still playable but a cooling pad is requiered.

luckyedboy66

It's not the CPU that brings it down but the Front Side Bus or the FSB which controls everything. The best way to OC is to go into your laptop's bios (hammer away at F8 or Delete after you turn it on.....) and see if you have any clocks or frequencies options. Like other people have said, your bios or options might be locked and you won't be able to UC by simple means. If they're not, again, the easiest possible way to UC is to lower the multiplier as it won't affect any of the buses. Make sure you only do it reasonable levels so your lappy is still functional.

sweet! thanks for the tips!