Has RAM changed?

Alien_Stranded

So growing up I was home taught on computers and was taught that RAM chips would regulate its partner. I.e if you have a 1gb and 4gb the 1gb would draw the 4gb speeds down to the 1gb or close to it. My teacher in class is telling people you can have a 1gb with a 4gb thusly conflicting what I've known to be true to this date. Obviously you'd still at a minimum want the same manufacturer, but have they been able to stop this draw down in speed from two different sized chips?

beers

Staff member
The memory controller picks the lowest common denominator when using mixed sticks. You CAN mix sticks, but performance and stability may vary.

Alien_Stranded

The memory controller picks the lowest common denominator when using mixed sticks. You CAN mix sticks, but performance and stability may vary.

So basically they haven't found a way around it and what I was taught remains true? Good to know it's specifically the memory controller, that's something that should be in this class.

beers

Staff member
Basically. Some modern platforms can run different timings between channels but I haven't seen any ones that can run separate frequencies between channels.

Usually you would also want balanced capacities between channels otherwise you get lopsided/inconsistent performance from interleaving between different capacities.

dgrevillius

As strollin said above, it is the speed, not the capacity that matters. 1GB vs 4GB does so much matter as much as 1333Mhz vs 1600Mhz. Both sticks would defualt to the slower 1333Mhz.