Have to press the power button multiple times to boot

ing17

Hi everyone, I built my first PC this year and it basically was a nightmare. Basically I was not able to boot due to ram issues. I had to take it to the shop and they told me they had to unlock the motherboard for the ram to be compatible. Its a bit complex since I'm currently studying abroad and this PC was built in my home country so far I have had two holidays to go back and play it. The most recent time I went back I found out that one of my ram is dead so I bought a replacement. Now I have to press the power button 2-3 times before it can successfully boot. I was on a windows 8.1 so I thought updating to 10 would help. It didn't. I enabled fast boot in the bios but no change. Seriously I spent almost 1200 US dollar and its not even one year yet is my PSU or motherboard damaged already? Im using a 3 plug adapter for my PSU since my country uses the two plug socket. Should I buy a new ram to since maybe one of the current ram is faulty? will that help. I tried booting up with only one ram and it seems to boot immediately. Originally the ram was a pair of 4gb Corsair Vengeance LPX DDR4, the replacement was the 8gb Hyperfury x DDR4. I tried swapping both rams to all the 4 modules didn't seem to do anything. One interesting though is I can't use the same colour module this means only a combination of black and grey works. Black and black or grey and grey doesnt work. Currently I have 2 working rams one is crucial 4gb and the other hyperfury x 8gb.

CPU: Intel Core i5-6600K 3.5GHz Quad-Core Processor
CPU Cooler: Cooler Master Hyper 212 EVO 82.9 CFM Sleeve Bearing CPU Cooler
Motherboard: Gigabyte GA-Z170-HD3P ATX LGA1151
Memory: Corsair Vengeance LPX 8GB (2 x 4GB) DDR4-2400 Memory
Storage: Samsung 850 EVO-Series 250GB 2.5" Solid State Drive
Storage: Western Digital Caviar Blue 1TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive
Video Card: Sapphire Radeon R9 380 4GB Nitro Video Card
Case: Corsair SPEC-02 ATX Mid Tower Case
Power Supply: EVGA 750W 80+ Bronze Certified Semi-Modular ATX Power Supply
Monitor: BenQ GL2460HM 24.0" 60Hz Monitor

Last edited:

Darren

Staff member
"Unlock the motherboard"...? Might just be a poor choice of words on their part or translation but that isn't something you have to do for RAM. A BIOS update maybe, but even that doesn't make sense. I'd run Memtest if I were you. BIOS reset to defaults might not be a bad idea either..

http://www.memtest86.com/

ing17

"Unlock the motherboard"...? Might just be a poor choice of words on their part or translation but that isn't something you have to do for RAM. A BIOS update maybe, but even that doesn't make sense. I'd run Memtest if I were you. BIOS reset to defaults might not be a bad idea either..

http://www.memtest86.com/
so RAM is likely the culprit here? cause the PC is perfectly fine once it is booted, the issue lies in the number of times I have to press the power button to boot

Darren

Staff member
Reset your BIOS settings to defaults first, although take note of your boot order and SATA mode as you might need to change them back after the reset so you can boot into Windows. See what it does. You said that they told you they had a bad stick and it not booting up right makes me leery of that shop in general.

ing17

Reset your BIOS settings to defaults first, although take note of your boot order and SATA mode as you might need to change them back after the reset so you can boot into Windows. See what it does. You said that they told you they had a bad stick and it not booting up right makes me leery of that shop in general.
Thanks for the reply. That said, which SATA mode should I be in. The os is windows 10 64 bit on the ssd drive. My data drive is a normal hdd.

Darren

Staff member
Thanks for the reply. That said, which SATA mode should I be in. The os is windows 10 64 bit on the ssd drive. My data drive is a normal hdd.
Most likely AHCI, just has to watch what it was when you installed Windows.

ing17

Most likely AHCI, just has to watch what it was when you installed Windows.
Hi, I told people back home to try a number of solutions. Booted with one ram stick and reset BIOS to default. Still no luck any more suggestion?