Have to select operating system on startup

james76

hey guys,

when i switch ooon my pc i get the black screen asking me to choose the operating system either windows xp or windows xp boot screen. Obviously i choose just windows xp and evrything starts up fine.
BTW i have recently reinstalle windows xp (HOME EDITION)

thanks.

james

Hellbreather

So whats the problem, do you not want the boot screen to come up or what. Please let us know not just tell us what happens and what you do :D

Trizoy

VIP Member
If you only want to boot toone, and you never want to boot to the other one just do this.
1. Right click my computer, go properties
2. Advanced tab, under startup and recovery choose settings.
3. 1/3 of the way down there is a edit button, go in and edit out the system you dont want to startup, leave the one you do.

Cromewell

Administrator
Staff member
open boot.ini and remove the line that has the boot menu item you dont want (back it up first uncase you want to switch it back)

Blade

do you run 'style XP' i do and becasue i have changed the boot screen it askes me if i want to boot the original or the modified one, i would say you have modified the boot screen

james76

Hellbreather said:
So whats the problem, do you not want the boot screen to come up or what. Please let us know not just tell us what happens and what you do :D

i just want my pc to start up without giving me an option of selecting an operating system. In other words i dont want the boot screen!

elmarcorulz

VIP Member
Trizoy said:
If you only want to boot toone, and you never want to boot to the other one just do this.
1. Right click my computer, go properties
2. Advanced tab, under startup and recovery choose settings.
3. 1/3 of the way down there is a edit button, go in and edit out the system you dont want to startup, leave the one you do.

thats all you need to do. follow Trizoy's instructions

james76

i hvae this in the file :

[boot loader]
timeout=30
default=multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(0)partition(1)\WINDOWS
[operating systems]
multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(0)partition(1)\WINDOWS="Microsoft Windows XP Home Edition (bootscreen)" /fastdetect /KERNEL=kernel1.exe /NoExecute=OptIn
multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(0)partition(1)\WINDOWS="Microsoft Windows XP Home Edition" /fastdetect=OptIn

what do i take out?!! sorry im not as confident since i busted up windows a few weeks back!

elmarcorulz

VIP Member
its alot easier if you right click my computer > Advanced . then there should be 3 settings boxes, click the bottom one, under the sub heading "startup and recovery" . then uncheck the box which says "time to display list of operating systems" and choose which operating system to boot to form the drop down box