Having a laptop and desktop

blahblah900

I currently have both a laptop and a desktop and I find it kind of pointless now that I am using my laptop and not my desktop. Is there really any point of me having both of them except for backup?

I have a dell dimension desktop that is ok but when it loads it does take about 2 minutes or so. My laptop is a dell inspiron 6000 that is 15.4' and runs pretty well and starts up and closes fast.

The thing is I keep using the laptop when the desktop is right next to it! If i sell my laptop, i probably get around 400 dollars or so maybe and if i sell it on ebay probably like 350 because of those fees and I bought it for about 920 or so 1.5 years ago. I know selling my desktop is close to worthless b/c the most i probalby get back is like 150 or so.

The reason I am asking this is because my laptop is 15.4' so its pretty big. When i carry it outside, my laptop bag is big so it feels like I am carrying a big load. If my laptop was 14.1' or 12.1, I would definitely keep it because its the perfect size to carry around when I go out. 15.4' seems to just be too big.

Does anyone agree with me that 15.4' is pretty bad for a laptop since it is a bit big to carry it outside? If you had to keep one computer, which one would it be and why? I see a lot of people selling their laptops because they say they are looking for a desktop. I thought laptops were cooler than desktops but now i wished i had bought a smaller one instead. I feel like this laptop is like a desktop b/c of the size.

Thoughts and opinion on what i should do?

heyman421

banned
well, if your laptop is faster than your desktop, the benefits of a desktop over a laptop are null

i guess the real question would be why you spent the money on a laptop that was faster than the desktop you already owned.

i have a desktop that i use while i'm at home, whenever possible, and then a cheap 13" laptop just for school.

Laptops are just too uncomfortable to use every day, imo. And laptop monitors are really not up to snuff for long useage.

Granted, you could use your keyboard, mouse, and monitor with the laptop, but it's nice to have a permanently setup home workstation.

blahblah900

my desktop is 2.7ghz but my laptop is about 1.6ghz. I downloaded way too bad stuff on my desktop like limewire etc which is why it is slower considerably. I bought my desktop like 2 months before i purchased the laptop.

I just feel that this laptop is a bit BIG because its 15.4 would you agree? I feel like i am carrying a lot when i go out.

codeman0013

My laptop is a XPSM140 and when in my case it was no heavier then my books would have been for school. I have a 15inch display as well. If your desktop is so slow becuase you have crap on it reformat it and start from scratch it will make a difference...

AcerGuy

I am like you, I have both a Laptop and a Desktop well 2 Desktops but that's another story, I had the same problem as you with a 15.4", so I sold it and bought a 14.1" and it is much easier to carry around. I would have liked a 12.1" but they are a lot more $$$$.

blahblah900

Which 14.1' laptop did you get? I got a 14.1' for my sister... the dell e1405 and it looks A LOT smaller than the 15.4' i currently have... the dell inspiron 6000. The weight is noticeably a big difference even though its probably about 1.5 lbs only.

ride3k

i carry around a 17" 8+ pounder everyday and its absolutely no problem, a 15.4 is way tiny, man up and carry it if its better and it dosent make economical sense to sell it