Having an issue with internet speed

GirlGamer

I seem to get internet speeds like normal but after some time it goes down abysmally low. For example, normally its 100 mbps but at certain points it goes down to 1-2 mbps. I have had this issue for a long time (1+ year). My ISP is comcast/XFinity. I've replaced my modem twice with them but the problem still persisted until I found a great solution for it.

Basically every time my internet is slow,I flush my DNS and reset my TCP/IP settings through the Command prompt with the commands:

ipconfig /flushdns
netsh int ip reset

I really wish I didn't have to do this every time but I have no choice and i'm hoping you guys have more insight into what exactly is happening. Am I being throttled? Could my hardware be faulty?

Standard Xfinity Modem because I rent one
Model # TG1682G

Thank you

johnb35

Administrator
Staff member
Sounds like you may have a malware issue or an issue with your network adapter. Are you using the latest driver for the lan?

GirlGamer

Sounds like you may have a malware issue or an issue with your network adapter. Are you using the latest driver for the lan?
Im not sure how to do either of those 2 things. How would I check the network adapter? How do i check the drivers for Network lan?

Agent Smith

Do you use Avast? What type of firewall or anti-virus do you have?

Avast or other anti-malware software can muck up your TCP/IP stack.