Having trouble installing windows

anil8r2003

I just bought a new computer and it doesn't have any os system installed on it. and everytime i try to install windows xp mce 2005 it goes into Caldera DR-DOS 7.03 and says using DPMS Dos protected mode services and it gives me four options /MLX /BL=16 / Lend=on / delay=off and evertime i type a command in it says command or file name not recognized. i don't know much about computers but i've tried pretty much everything i could do.does anyone know how i could fix this any help would be greatly appreciated.

Praetor

Administrator
Staff member
Im slightly confused .... so you put the MCE2005 CD in the drive, boot off it and it bumps you to Caldera...?

anil8r2003

Praetor said:
Im slightly confused .... so you put the MCE2005 CD in the drive, boot off it and it bumps you to Caldera...?
Yeah everytime i put the mce 2005 disk in it launchs into caldera dr-dos 7.03 and i set everthing in the bios to boot from the cd-rom first. but it still won't boot up it just gives me four options but evertime i type in a command it says file name or command not recognized. i don't know what's wrong with it.

Last edited:
Type: your cd drive then:

eg: D:\I386\WINNT.EXE
Make sure your drive is partitionned and has a file system first

Oh befor I froget, make sure that SMARTDRV is enabled. Else it will work, but 5hrs min. it will take to get you in the actual setup

anil8r2003

Amma Wario said:
Type: your cd drive then:

eg: D:\I386\WINNT.EXE
Make sure your drive is partitionned and has a file system first

Oh befor I froget, make sure that SMARTDRV is enabled. Else it will work, but 5hrs min. it will take to get you in the actual setup
I partitioned the hard drive and enabled hdd s.m.a.r.t but now when i type in the cd drive B: it says (not ready error reading drive b) and it gives me 3 choices (Abort, Retry, Fail) and every time i type retry it says the same thing.

anil8r2003

Amma Wario said:
Are you sure your CD drive is B:? TYhe default drive would be D:. Try it
I tried the D: drive but now evertime i type in eg: D:\I386\WINNT.EXE it says command or file name not recognized.

Last edited: