Having Trouble With My Memory

Ramodkk

VIP Member
So, I had been using 2 x 1GB of DDR2 PC6400 Crucial Ballistix Tracers for almost two years now. Until, my computer started getting random restarts. So after some time of troubleshooting, I found out that one of the RAM sticks might've gone bad. But there's more:

My computer works ONLY if I'm using the other, good Ballistix Tracer stick. I've tried using my dads G.Skill 2x1GB pair but my computer does not power-on (the fans spin for less than half a second when I press the power button). I've tried all combinations of 1GB and 2GB with all three RAM sticks (1 Crucial, and 2 G.Skill) on all memory slots and NONE of them give me a boot EXCEPT if I only install that one Crucial stick.

I even tried with a (2x2GB) of DDR2 PC8500 Kingston HyperX and its the same thing, no matter how they're installed, I dont get a boot except with the one 1GB Crucial Ballistix Tracer stick.

Any help? I've tried removing the CMOS battery for some time, and letting the computer cool. And nothing works. I've defaulted the BIOS and underclocked my CPU back to normal and nothing works.

Thanks!

Last edited:

johnb35

Administrator
Staff member
You actually should press the power button on the case a few times to discharge any remaining power on the board after you remove the cmos battery. You also might want to think about updating the bios to see if that corrects the issue.