HD won't boot when DVD-Drive is connected

I am having some problems this morning with one of my desktops. I had plugged in my one of my other hard drives as a slave at the weekend to back stuff up. Removing the wires from the DVD-RW drive and using them to connect to the other hard drive. All went fine and everything backed up.

But I have hooked it back up this morning and it ran fine but I noticed my drive wasnt reading disks. So i shut down and had a look - then realised I had plugged the wires back in.....duh!

So once the wires are back in I turned on the machine and it says "DISK BOOT FAILURE......." - so I removed the wires from the dvd drive again and it booted up fine. Tried again and again and everytime the dvd drive is connected it won't go past Boot Failure.

Any suggestions on a fix?

johnb35

Administrator
Staff member
Check to make sure that the power cord going to the hdd is securely attached. Does the hard drive spin up when dvd is attached? Sounds like a loose cable to me or an issue with the power supply power connectors.

finally figured it out. I had to put the jumper set to Master with Slave attached and the bios is reading the dvd-rw as a slave strangely. but its working now

johnb35

Administrator
Staff member
So you are using IDE drives? Yeah, that would explain why. Actually the hard drive and cdrom drive should be on different channels. How many ports do you have on the motherboard?