HDD Conundrum

AT-OP45

Hi there, I currently own three, 2.5" 500GB HDD drives that have the same speed of 5400 RPM. I don't really know what to do with them. They lack enough storage for a NAS and I don't know if making an external hard drive out of them of them would be efficient. I'd greatly appreciate any recommendations on how to best use them. Thank you.

Last edited:

strollin

I was cleaning out my computer room last week and collected up about a dozen HDDs that were too small for my needs. They ranged in size from 120GB to 2TB. I really had no use for them any longer since my backups take more than 2TB (have lots of media files). It was frustrating since they were all perfectly functioning drives that I simply had no use for. I considered selling them but have tried to sell used drives in the past with little luck. I was about to toss them into the electronics recycling bin but a friend said he wanted them so I gave them to him. They're now his problem.

My point is, either put them in external cases and use them for backup purposes as suggested above or get rid of them. Don't hang on to them thinking one day you'll have a use for them.

Darren

Staff member
I was cleaning out my computer room last week and collected up about a dozen HDDs that were too small for my needs. They ranged in size from 120GB to 2TB. I really had no use for them any longer since my backups take more than 2TB (have lots of media files). It was frustrating since they were all perfectly functioning drives that I simply had no use for. I considered selling them but have tried to sell used drives in the past with little luck. I was about to toss them into the electronics recycling bin but a friend said he wanted them so I gave them to him. They're now his problem.

My point is, either put them in external cases and use them for backup purposes as suggested above or get rid of them. Don't hang on to them thinking one day you'll have a use for them.

Man I'd take a free 1-2TB any day of the week.

_Kyle_

My school was throwing away old desktops, well, recycling them, anyways. All of them had a WD 500GB 7200 RPM hard drives in them. Struck a deal with the tech guy, and pulled them all out. Now I have like 20 something HDD's sitting in a tote in my room. :D

Don't know what I'm gonna do with them, though. :/

UnholyVision

Hi there, I currently own three, 2.5" 500GB HDD drives that have the same speed of 5400 RPM. I don't really know what to do with them. They lack enough storage for a NAS and I don't know if making an external hard drive out of them of them would be efficient. I'd greatly appreciate any recommendations on how to best use them. Thank you.
500GB HDD and lacking space? If you don't have a Samba server for your music. Then those would make great use for Samba server storage for say Music. Put any purchased MP3's, Flac's, ogg, et cetera from Bandcamp, Amazon, or any other official music seller, onto each drive. You would have at least a few thousand or so songs on each one of those. Then have a Samba server dish all those out into one access point and play your music from any device throughout your home network.

Twiki

I have a 1TB drive partitioned in two 500 gigs drives. System in the first and archive in the second. I guess my needs were simple and I got room left on both. I bought another drive just like my main drive because it was cheap. It was a $120 drive I got for $50 and both of them were made in 2013. I got a year warranty from Newegg though.

They are server drives so very good stuff. I have it in a removable caddy so I can switch drives. I have two WD 500 gig drives as well. There's always uses for them. You can use them for preservation. Put what you need to keep and put em away.

Remember back then I was archiving my DVD movie collections to the drives when I learned that I can't do that legally. I have to scrap it.

_Kyle_

Well, counted the drives, actually have 14. A bit less than I thought, but 7TB of storage is fine with me. Sucks my Node 202 can't even fit one XD. Oh well, I'll be grabbing a new tower and mobo around the holidays.