HDD from 1 old comp to another old comp?

Dragamora

I have a computer that I bought under the pretense I was getting better parts (specifically the GPU). I have an older computer with all around better specs but the hard drive is toast. Is it possible to take the HDD out of my new(er) computer and put it in the old computer to make one (decent) working computer? Both computers have Windows 10 installed on them (though possibly different versions) but they have different motherboards, CPUs, GPUs, etc. Can I just swap the hard drives, or would I have to buy another Windows key?

beers

Staff member
You could try, W10 is a lot better about transplanting, although personally I'd still reformat and fresh install. At the very least it will force you to reactivate.

Darren

Staff member
You shouldn't have to worry about activation if they both had 10 on them. It'll either activate automatically or you'll have to use the product key on the machine you're transplanting in to. Usually once 10 is installed on a machine it will always be activated with a fresh install of 10 or even 7.

Would also suggest doing a clean install. Even if it loads up I'd do a built in refresh at the very least.

_Pete_

yes agree with what has been said but the drivers from the transplant machine will be different to the drivers that the computer you are going to put the HDD into needs. Whilst Windows 10 will, more than likely, sort that out it will leave bits of non-used junk behind. Do the clean install, you can get the ISO from here: https://www.microsoft.com/en-gb/software-download/windows10 you can either make a bootable DVD or a bootable USB pen drive from this download.