HDD Master/Slave Issue, Please Help!!

Impr3ssiv3

First you will want to have the system up and running to avoid any configuration issues and improper hardware detection when installing XP. Once you have a smooth running system going you should be able to add the 40gb in and easily copy your data and files freely from it. If for some reason you find that the drive is inaccessible one easy fix for that is to boot a Linux Live for cd distro. The one rated the easiest to use is Knoppix Live for cd. You simply need a software for burning iso images to cd-rs. The image is about 500mb in size roughly speaking.

The live distros take a little bit to get used to. But a distro like Knoppix is a good live version to have around for accessing drives when something prevents normal access(missing or corrupted mbr info etc.). With a standard ide controller on the board there you should be able to copy without problems. But if something comes up try a live distro or slave the drive in a working case for temporary transfer/storage. Knoppix has a slight difference in copy commands. But nothing major. In fact I have to refamiliarize myself again. But I keep a distro onhand anyway since it can access Fat16, Fat32, and NTFS partitions just as easy as if they were Linux types.

ok

i have another idea

i am on my moms computer and she has an IDE HDD. Could i hook up my drive as a slave to her HDD and then copy files that way. and then when i get past the whole installing OS on the SATA just copy the file back over a home network i setup

PC eye

banned
You can easily slave the 40gb drive there for copying into one or more temporary folders. Once they are on that system you could transfer via network or even emails with one or more files attached provided they were not too large. You could also assign or should be able to assign the 40gb in the case with the SATA drive there as the primary host drive and format the SATA for use as a storage drive. Once formatted direct transfer could take place.

If you later decide to go with a larger ide drive or reformat the 40gb you would simply copy the files stored on the SATA onto the drive or partition seen on the boot drive. The recommendation for using a live Linux distro would be a last resort option if you find that the 40gb becomes inaccessible for saving your files. If you slave the 40gb in your mother's system and find that you can't access it for some reason the Knoppix Live cd provides a solution.

PC eye

banned
Knoppix is one variation of Linux. It doesn't on any version of Windows. A Live cd is a self contained operating system that runs simply by booting with a cd or dvd with a Linux iso image file burned on it and made bootable. To really get a better look at Knoppix along with links for tutorials and download go to http://www.knopper.net/knoppix-info/index-en.html It's one of the easier distros to learn how to use and doesn't need a drive to install onto!

Impr3ssiv3

so if hooking it up to my moms and transferring doesnt work then i just boot this CD and copy files from the drive to a folder on my moms

PC eye

banned
Not only do you first have to download and burn the image making a bootable cd you also have to get familiar with some of the basic Bash commands although Linux does have a form of mouse pointer. The user interface as well as manually entered commands(if needed at times) are quite a bit different to use at first. But Knoppix I know for sure from using it here will get stuff off of drives whether they are Linux or MS dos, 3.1, 9X-ME, 2K, XP. Opening two windows for copying from one location or drive to another is also a bit different. But it is an effective "last resort" option to go with.

Impr3ssiv3

Not only do you first have to download and burn the image making a bootable cd you also have to get familiar with some of the basic Bash commands although Linux does have a form of mouse pointer. The user interface as well as manually entered commands(if needed at times) are quite a bit different to use at first. But Knoppix I know for sure from using it here will get stuff off of drives whether they are Linux or MS dos, 3.1, 9X-ME, 2K, XP. Opening two windows for copying from one location or drive to another is also a bit different. But it is an effective "last resort" option to go with.

is it really that complicated as knowing commands or is it drag and drop

PC eye

banned
The Knoppix GUI(graphical user interface) is one of the easier Linux desktops to use. But you will have some fun trying to put two windows side by side in order to drag and drop like you see in Windows or even on Apple/MAC GUIs there. Often you may have to manually type in instructions to copy one or more files or file groups unlike the simple "copy *.* D:\myfiles C:\Mynewfolder" type entry. I'm a relative "newbie" myself at Linux and recently I was going to get familiar with a few different distros. At one point I saved a link for an article detailing how to rescue files from an inaccessible drive and Knoppix was the highly recommended Live distro for this. It never hurts to get familiar with the basic commands in the event that a live version is needed like here to bail you out.

Impr3ssiv3

The Knoppix GUI(graphical user interface) is one of the easier Linux desktops to use. But you will have some fun trying to put two windows side by side in order to drag and drop like you see in Windows or even on Apple/MAC GUIs there. Often you may have to manually type in instructions to copy one or more files or file groups unlike the simple "copy *.* D:\myfiles C:\Mynewfolder" type entry. I'm a relative "newbie" myself at Linux and recently I was going to get familiar with a few different distros. At one point I saved a link for an article detailing how to rescue files from an inaccessible drive and Knoppix was the highly recommended Live distro for this. It never hurts to get familiar with the basic commands in the event that a live version is needed like here to bail you out.

do you happen to have that link

PC eye

banned
I put the link in the second reply earlier. But this is the main page for the links you will need. http://www.knopper.net/knoppix-info/index-en.html The main download page for a long list of mirrror servers is found at http://www.knopper.net/knoppix-mirrors/index-en.html That is easy to go to by clicking on the penguin flapping wings on the right side on the first link. There is a list of other sites for FAQs and discussion there as well. For a tutorial on Knoppix and Linux in general, http://www.knoppix.net/
http://www.bellevuelinux.org/instructions.html
Relocated site for Knoppix tutorial, http://www.elearnit.de/knoppix/docs/tutorial/english/index.html

PC eye

banned
I have to refamiliarize myself since I've been away from for a period of time now. But the Knoppix Live cd was given a good workout here and passed the tests for access seen on more then an XP or Linux partition. It readiliy went to a Fat32 partition as well as it did with the XP host drive in at the time. The live distros don't distinguish between Linux, NTFS, and FAT partitions the way Windows and Linux installations do.