HDD Trouble

I have an older 2tb hard drive that is having issues. The drive keeps loosing connection with my PC and then reconnecting repeatedly. It seems to be worse when I am reading or writing to the disk. I use this drive for storage and downloads. Is there any way to correct this type of error or should I just be looking to replace the drive?

StrangleHold

Staff member
I would back the drive up if you can. Have you tried a different SATA port if that's what it's hooked up to?

I would back the drive up if you can. Have you tried a different SATA port if that's what it's hooked up to?
I have not yet tried a different port however this is a new build only a few days old and the hard drive was having issues before hand. not quite this bad but it was deffinatly showing signs of serious issues

StrangleHold

Staff member
Well it's the hard drive. Like said back it up if you can. Then under search type cmd then Run as administrator then chkdsk and hit enter, see what it says. But I would see about replacing it.

beers

Staff member
New port new cable, I assume it will still exhibit the same issues.

I'd run a long seatools test on it or something. Also some drives fail in a way where you can partition around the failure domain, although it does get worse over time. Maybe open a RMA if it's still under warranty otherwise 2 TB SSDs are pretty inexpensive to replace it with for a nice performance bump.

Replaced the SATA cable with a brand new one and swapped port, so far it seems to be behaving itself. thanks for the advice. I will still look at replacing the drive but for now I will at least have the chance to back up any important information on there as before I could not cause it would disconnect every time I tried to read from or write to the disk