HDD Went corrupt and failed randomely

xarik

Hey guys,

I recently put over $150 into a BlacX Duet docking station for a dual HDD bay. I also purchased this HDD:

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B005T3GRN2/ref=oh_details_o03_s01_i00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

the 2tb version of it

Ok I purchased this like 3 weeks ago, I delete all of the previous partitions and format the drive so I can access all of the memory (1.81tb in total). Everything is working fine, I copy over 355GB of data (about) and everything is still working. I let it go for about a week with random looking at photos or w/e on the HDD. Now just yesterday I go to the drive and things start disappearing and suddenly it tells me that the file location is in a different place (the pop up) and it redirects me. There's nothing where it redirects me, I go back into the drive to see that there's only two folders are left. Both are accessible for about 1 more minute then disappear and I get an error that the drive is corrupt and files cannot be viewed. Now when I plug it in it asks to be formatted, cannot be seen and in the Computer area it appears as a drive but there's not status bar on the amount of memory used

I'm on a laptop with w7 and the second HDD on the docking station was still working. There was no reason ths should have happened. Anyone have any ideas why it may have happened though?

The drive is viewed as completely empty on a knopix system, it is currently running a recover that's been going for 10 hours (about 20 more hours to go) I only hope I can retrieve the material that was on it -.-

xarik

I ran this directly out of the box, the thing passed the long test. Everything that I moved onto the drive was already on my laptop though...but stuff just started going bad randomly

Aastii

VIP Member
http://hcidesign.com/memtest/

Download and run overnight or for at least 12 hours. If any errors occur your memory is at fault.

Of that passes, I would point at software being the problem. I still wouldn't rule out an infection either

xarik

I'm kinda leaning towards a drive failure...When plugged into a knopix system, all partitions were empty. When viewed in Hard drive manager is was viewed as a 1.8tb RAW file. My boss suggested I run a recovery. It ran for 40+ hours and located over 400GB of memory (somehow more than what I had on it) and I am now copying it onto another drive.

I will read into that mem test and see what it all does. I doubt it's my RAM, it hasn't failed me yet and nothing else was damaged besides that one HDD and it was an external one...worth a shot though! :p

Any suggestions for a different drive? I can't bring myself to keep it...it'll haunt me that it might fail at any time...

I'll run malware bytes and a few other scans over night to make sure my computer isn't at fault either! leaving nothing to chance at this point I guess

Aastii

VIP Member
Memtest checks every sector of your memory. It will finish quickly however it will not necessarily pick up errors on the first pass, which is why you should do it for a long time with multiple passes.

If your memory is faulty and you are copying incorrect data over that could be where the bad files have come from, which has manifested itself in "lost" (actually corrupt rather than lost) data.

For drives, if in a caddy look at WD Caviar Green drives. For external without caddy, again consider WD drives and also Corsair

xarik

Memory as in RAM or memory as in HDD? Not sure what this is testing now :p. I think I'll keep the BlacX Duet if you think it's a good idea. I have been SUPER busy and have only run antivirus and malware, nothing found. Will restart my PC and run a mem test later if it's a RAM test, will run it overnight