HDMI Has power, no signal

ltfig

Okay, so let me start off with me being new to the whole forum thing. I got two broken graphic cards (GTX 960 and a RX 380). I had a broken hdmi cable, cut the broken end off, attached the red and white wire to an led (to light up when receiving power). I tested both graphic cards and it lights up, so the hdmi port is getting power but no signal. Is there a way test if it's getting a signal via the rgb wires within the hdmi, or would the graphics chip be bad?

Darren

Staff member
I really hope you're joking.

You bought 3 products you knew did not function, are stripping them apart, and using an LED as a testing means for an HDMI cable? Come on.

At the very least go buy a good HDMI cable and start from there.

ltfig

I've tested a good HDMI cable, tested dvi, dp, and the HDMI ports. I'm trying to find out if the port(s) are functioning as expected

Darren

Staff member
I don't think I understand what you're trying to accomplish. You just said you tested all the ports but want to know if all the ports are functioning as expected?

ltfig

I was testing to verify they are all receiving power (To make sure the board isn't dead). What I'm trying to do is to see if its sending a signal (RGB) , and go from there to help eliminate possible problems.