HDMI to DVI adapter question

johnnyb58

I have an old DVI monitor that I’ve been using to monitor my security cameras and I’ve used HDMI to DVI adapter for years without any problem. I just replaced the system with a new DVR and new HD cameras, but the old monitor is not working with the adapter on the new system. I don’t understand why and wonder if someone here can explain.

I plugged the DVR into my computer monitor that has straight HDMI plugs on both end and it works just fine. So do I need to buy a new monitor or what do you think is the problem?

johnnyb58

OK this always happens to me. Every time I ask question the problem either solves its self or I discover another problem that caused it.

So anyway just to close this I found out that the cable wasn’t good. I wanted a longer cable so I could work on it at my work bench and when I plugged in the new longer one it worked. The only thing I can see was that the old cable didn’t have as many pins in the DVI connector, so I don’t know what that’s all about.

So it is solved and sorry to waste your time.

johnb35

Administrator
Staff member
Not a waste, just glad you found out what the problem was and posted back. I was gonna post earlier saying it could be the adapter. Some require an active adapter.