HDMI to VGA

HellFox

I have been looking for a nice budget monitor for my computer build, and I have a couple in mind, but they all take VGA. Now that being said, my graphics card is GTX 1060 3GB, which only has HDMI. I have no problem using a converter to go from HDMI to VGA, but I was wondering if there would be any performance degradation attached to it.

HellFox

I can get a 1080p 21.5 inch monitor used for $70-$80 + $10 for VGA to HDMI converter. Or I could spend $100+ to get a HDMI monitor of the same quality. unless there is a mechanical reason for me not to get a VGA monitor, I choose the former.

Darren

Staff member
I can get a 1080p 21.5 inch monitor used for $70-$80 + $10 for VGA to HDMI converter. Or I could spend $100+ to get a HDMI monitor of the same quality. unless there is a mechanical reason for me not to get a VGA monitor, I choose the former.
VGA has crappy picture and is more liable to break in comparison to HDMI. You're also comparing a used monitor with unknown previous history and future lifespan versus a brand new and warrantied product. Kind of a no brainer. And you can get 1080p monitors for under $100 now I'm pretty sure.

Geoff

VIP Member
How old is that monitor? A newer HDMI model would also most likely have faster response times, higher contrast ratios, better color accuracy, thinner, lighter, and overage just a more more pleasing monitor to use and look at.

Darren

Staff member
How old is that monitor? A newer HDMI model would also most likely have faster response times, higher contrast ratios, better color accuracy, thinner, lighter, and overage just a more more pleasing monitor to use and look at.
The idea of used vs new at a 10 dollar premium is worth it alone.