Headphones

jonnyp11

Looking for some nice headphones while they're cheaper for christmas, be it now or a week or 2 from now, but wanting to stay around 40-60, maybe 70 if it's worth it. A mic is a bonus but not needed, looking cool is also nice and i would really like a lot of bass. Amazon seems to have some good sonys, audio technicas (current fav i think), skull candies, and a razr

Okedokey

I would look at a local pawn shop mate. They'll have some sweet ones there probably priced fairly low.

jonnyp11

Not really interested in used unless its some 200 buck ones for 50, but never seen anything other than beats or lower end skullcandies in this crap hole town, very small and pretty cheap

Darren

Staff member
If you want bass go the XB500's all the way. I've listened to the 429's and they were nothing special. If you want a bit cheaper the Sennheiser HD 202's are great too and probably sound pretty similair to a lot of those.

The bass on the Sony's is amazing and they are the most comfortable headphones I've ever worn. I wear them for hours at a time and I barely get fatigued. I wear glasses too and they don't bug me one bit. They've been nicknamed the Princess Leia headphones for good reason. They're big but not too heavy. I've had mine for 8 months or so and had no issues.

Recommend those.

jonnyp11

almost picked up some 201's at best buy "on-sale" for 30, luckily i know newegg runs them and the 202's for like 15 to 20 all the time so didn't, but wish i could'a heard them to see what they're like, they looked huge though.

started to ask about the xb3 and 400 but then noticed that they're on ear, why must they be on ear when they're cheaper :mad: really want to have enough left for the humble thq bundle that i really need to buy before it ends in just under 3 days, and would love to buy 87's 212 evo, but that's not gonna happen, this will be all my money.

tempted to ask if dad will throw in a few bucks for my christmas present, then i could get the AT ATHM50S.

Last edited:

Darren

Staff member
From what I understand the 201's and the 202's are similar but the price difference is so small it makes sense to get the 202's.

I think the 202's have better instrument separation and just sound a bit better. Been a while since I've looked into headphones. Still advise XB500's. ATH M50's are good from what I've heard about them. I bought some for my friend on Amazon and he payed me back but only listened to them for like 4 minutes once.

And yeah the XB 300 are similar but are on Ear and don't sound quite as good. Check out the XB1000. Those are crazy.

salvage-this

Don't get the 201s. I had them for a while. They have decent sound but are really quiet. Anything over an hour of wear is really uncomfortable. It was just too shallow for my ears.

I ended up going with Bose AE2 as a replacement for the 201s. Probably overpriced for the quality but I can wear them for hours on end.

jonnyp11

Found a headphone forum and am currently being pointed towards the hd419's from sennheiser, looks pretty good and cheap enough so i can get dragonborn too

Darren

Staff member
Found a headphone forum and am currently being pointed towards the hd419's from sennheiser, looks pretty good and cheap enough so i can get dragonborn too

My friend has those. XB500's sound better and are more comfortable. They're good headphones. But I like the 500's better. Also the 419's block almost no noise if that's of any concern.

linkin

VIP Member
Any low end headphone phone will lack in mid/high quality and make up for it with lots of over-exaggerated bass.

If you can, you really want to go for ATH-M50S (closed) or AD700 (open) at a bare minimum. Even then you're only running onboard audio.

HD201's are not really that much better, but I would go for them. I've owned a pair and they work well at stopping outside noise and providing average sound quality.

jonnyp11

Any low end headphone phone will lack in mid/high quality and make up for it with lots of over-exaggerated bass.

If you can, you really want to go for ATH-M50S (closed) or AD700 (open) at a bare minimum. Even then you're only running onboard audio.

HD201's are not really that much better, but I would go for them. I've owned a pair and they work well at stopping outside noise and providing average sound quality.

I cant afford those, was tempted to ask for them for christmas, but now i'm pretty set on getting the hd428's while they're on sale.

Darren

Staff member

You can say that again. However I'm a total basshead so I love my Sony's and don't mind that it's a little overpowering.

Nice find Geoff. Super high quality at a great price!

jonnyp11

You can say that again. However I'm a total basshead so I love my Sony's and don't mind that it's a little overpowering.

Nice find Geoff. Super high quality at a great price!

I tried my friends xb500's and they werent bad, the bass was very heavy but it still had way better highs and mids than most headphones for like 20 bucks and they were comfy, just wanted something nobody else has