Hearts of Iron 3 trouble

orcam3

Hello, i'm new to the forum and created my account because i experience issues with the game Heart of Iron 3 (Paradox Interactive).
The problem is that the game crashes, the crashes are mostly when im playing for 30/60 minutes and may occur faster when i start in later game years (1944). the crashes seems to be random, i've tried to get help at paradox own forum and their helpdesk (raise a ticket service) but nothing of what they told me worked, i hope you can help me, as you are my only hope left.

i would like to attach my dxdiag, if that is worth any to this issue, but the file is too big, any tips on that?

Greetings,

Orcam3

SuperDuperMe

Are you graphic drivers updated? DX updated? sound drivers updated?

Are your temps ok?

What are your specs including PSU <<< this is important

Does it happen on any other game?

Is the game fully patched?

orcam3

Are you graphic drivers updated? DX updated? sound drivers updated?
As far as im concerned yes

Are your temps ok?
guess so?

What are your specs including PSU <<< this is important
Power supply is AC INPUT: 100-127 V - 6 A
50/60 Hz 200 - 240 V - 3 A
i use NVIDIA GeForce GT 240 (2258 mb)
i have 4 gigabyte ram

Does it happen on any other game?
no, not even the game that runs with the same (or similar?) engine, europa universalis 3

Is the game fully patched?
yes
everything is in the quotes

SuperDuperMe

What brand and model is your psu?

And what are your temps "google hwmonitor and download it it will tell you your temps"

Regarding temps, specifically what are they whilst playing the game?

SuperDuperMe

What wattage is it. That may be your problem.

GT240 requires 300watts of decent power to run minimum. My guess is the compaq is either too low a wattage or not of a high enough standard to run it. This may be why your getting problems. Even if its not, id stil consider getting a better PSU.

orcam3

What wattage is it. That may be your problem.

GT240 requires 300watts of decent power to run minimum. My guess is the compaq is either too low a wattage or not of a high enough standard to run it. This may be why your getting problems. Even if its not, id stil consider getting a better PSU.

Oh wait, got new info, the game also crashes on my other computer

SuperDuperMe

Hmmm, do you meet the requirements?

Have you tried asking on the games forums? as iv never heard of the game so dont have any experiance with it crashing :p

orcam3

Hmmm, do you meet the requirements?

Have you tried asking on the games forums? as iv never heard of the game so dont have any experiance with it crashing :p

yea, on their official forums and i also raised a ticket, nothing helped :s

orcam3

this is the crash report:
Gebeurtenisnaam van probleem: APPCRASH
Naam van de toepassing: hoi3game.exe
Versie van toepassing: 0.0.0.0
Tijdstempel van toepassing: 4c03677e
Naam van foutmodule: StackHash_0a9e
Versie van foutmodule: 0.0.0.0
Tijdstempel van foutmodule: 00000000
Uitzonderingscode: c0000005
Uitzonderingsmarge: 62500000
Versie van besturingssysteem: 6.1.7600.2.0.0.256.48
Landinstelling-id: 1043
Aanvullende informatie 1: 0a9e
Aanvullende informatie 2: 0a9e372d3b4ad19135b953a78882e789
Aanvullende informatie 3: 0a9e
Aanvullende informatie 4: 0a9e372d3b4ad19135b953a78882e789

Oh, and my wattage is above 600W

Last edited:

SuperDuperMe

its a compaq psu and you beleive it over 600 watts. If im honest that doesnt really add up. Iv never seen an oem psu that high.

Could you please check what the psu actually is.

Make and model.

For example mine is a corsair hx620...rated at 620 watts.

orcam3

its a compaq psu and you beleive it over 600 watts. If im honest that doesnt really add up. Iv never seen an oem psu that high.

Could you please check what the psu actually is.

Make and model.

For example mine is a corsair hx620...rated at 620 watts.
I calculated the wattage 100V*6A = 600W

SuperDuperMe

Yeah, but if its OEM it makes no difference it will still be a badly built PSU.

Also im not 100% what youve done there is correct. It may be. But to know wether it enough we really need to know make and model.

jonnyp11

I calculated the wattage 100V*6A = 600W

that's not right at all, to calculate the wattage there are like 5 standard voltages i think, 3, 5, 12, -5 and - something else, i know there is no 100 volt rail, so whatever you're looking at is wrong.

and like he said, if it's a crapaq oem psu, it might say 600w, but truthfully, it's prob not even putting out 300w, and if you tried to get 400w out of it or so, it's either going to not do it and cause crashing or it'll stress the psu and shorten its lifetime.

orcam3

so, according to you, it is normal that i cant play a graphically crappy game but i can play graphically intense games like skyrim and MW3 on the highest settings? hmm... seems legit

SuperDuperMe

You can play skyrim on the highest setings with a gt 240....Im not sure your fully aware of your pc specs.

At the end of the day youve asked for help, Im trying to give you help.

1) Oem psus are rubbish even with a bad GPU.

2)I personally have never seen such a high wattage OEM PSU which leads me to think its either not OEM and youve not bothered checking what it is, or your just guessing and clutching at straws.

3) Im merely trying to troubleshoot your problem by factoring out different possibilities. The first one in mind is psu as you said its compaq.

4)If you want to come up with your own solution, please do.