Heat from DVD Drive

mreccentric

Whenever i play a DVD Movie on my PC, after about 2 or 3 hours of use, i can feel the heat dissipated by the DVD Drive when i touch the DVD. The DVD becomes too hot. Whereas when i use a DVD Player, it never gets that hot.

So, what makes the DVD more hot? Is the DVD drive different from DVD Player? Is it defective?

StrangleHold

Staff member
Usually the case. A computer DVD drive is a more compact space. A player, the drive can be more isolated. But I have had players that put the drive in a bad location and the DVD would be warm/hot.

mreccentric

Usually the case. A computer DVD drive is a more compact space. A player, the drive can be more isolated. But I have had players that put the drive in a bad location and the DVD would be warm/hot.

So, you say it's not a problem?
The CD drive/components inside the CPU isn't that crowded though.

Sophocles

VIP Member
StrangleHold is right about heat and drive location, however it could be a problem in the long term, especially with burned discs. Check your case to make certain that you have good air flow around the unit. If not then check your case fans. I have three units stacked in my case and they always stay cool. Heat is the number one enemy of PC devices.