Hello again CF, network job update!

Renzore101

Hello all,

I haven't posted on Cf for awhile, I just figured I would give you folks an update on my network support position I landed at a local company. So I am now proficient at configuring Cisco routers and switches with configuration files (copy/paste wr mem), checking error logs, performing RMA's on Cisco.com, and cleaning up LAN closets! I am gradually getting some trickles of exposure to the network provisioning team, which is responsible for refreshing sites aged/failing infrastructure. Over the past 4 months I have learned best practices on routers/switches, RIP, OSPF, ACLs, AAA authentication. To do: study up on all of the curriculum now that finals week is over to go test for my CCENT. I want to better understand the sequence of handshakes with various TCP/IP protocols, wrap my head around extended ACLs, ASA firewall configurations, and vpn tunnels.

To be continued...

Renzore101

Hello again folks, sorry haven't been around lately, studying and work are a real occupier of time! I am really enjoying my position and every day I am gaining exposure to new and exotic problems. By the beginning of August I will be done with my core networking curriculum for my associates degree, after which point all my semester classes will be night classes. At this point I intend on working full-time instead of the current part-time position. I do not know for sure if my local company will be able to hire me on full time, but if they do not I don't think I will have a hard time getting a FT position at some other organization after the experience i've gained. I could potentially transfer to some other IT department to get FT, however I only am interested in networking related positions so I will have to see come August how it goes. I really have learned a lot, however I really want to transition to a position that deals with higher level networking configuration and deployment, the current position is more of a break/fix support role. Immediate future goal = CCNA over the summer

Issues today:

1) Two DNS servers stopped working for our Taboao, Brazil site guest wireless network in LATAM. Solution was to change the DNS IP addresses in the wireless controller to new local Brazil DNS servers after testing to verify that they were pinging and resolving domain names.

2) Wired connection down at a branch store after replacing a switch. Solution was to change the Vlan of the 16 port integrated switch on the router to a different network because it was breaking routing between the router integrated switch module and the 24 port connected switch. Not 100% sure on that one, another colleague actually made the changes.

Last edited: