Hello, this will be my first ever pc build...

shaf

For two years I've been waiting to build a PC, essentially a future proof one (for gaming).

I have noticed from the last time I researched (2 years ago) a lot of newer and nicer pc components have come out.

So since yesterday I no-lifed it and found my self, in my opinion, some decent parts in order to build a PC.

I just wanted to check with you guys if the parts selected are all compatible with each other and e.t.c. Furthermore any advice on a better or additional component to my list below would be appreciated.

Thank you in advance!

Here are the components as follows:

CPU: AMD Phenom II X6 1090T Black Edition 3.20GHz - £228

Motherboard: Asus Crosshair IV Formula AMD 890FX (Socket AM3) DDR3 Motherboard - £154

Video card: XFX HD 5870 Graphics Card - £287

Ram : Corsair dominator 6gb (3x2gb) - £124

PSU: Corsair 850W HX Modular PSU - 80plus Silver Certified Efficiency - £132

Case: Antec 1200 - £119 or Coolermaster HAF 932 £103 or Coolermaster HAF X - £140?

HDD: Western Digital Caviar Black 64mb cache 500gb 7200rpm - £43

CPU Cooler: Thermaltake frio - £35

Fan Controller (LCD): NZXT Sentry LX - £45 or Syth Kaze Master Pro - £23 or NZXT Sentry 2 - £25?

Optical Drive DVD RW: LiteOn IHAS524-32 24x labeltag - £20.99

Antec Veris IR Reciever?: £45

Sorry for the list being so long.

Any advice for a newb would be well appreciated.

Thanks again! :D

Last edited:

fastdude

For two years I've been waiting to build a PC, essentially a future proof one (for gaming).

I have noticed from the last time I researched (2 years ago) a lot of newer and nicer pc components have come out.

So since yesterday I no-lifed it and found my self, in my opinion, some decent parts in order to build a PC.

I just wanted to check with you guys if the parts selected are all compatible with each other and e.t.c. Furthermore any advice on a better or additional component to my list below would be appreciated.

Thank you in advance!

Here are the components as follows:

CPU: AMD Phenom II X6 1090T Black Edition 3.20GHz @ 4.00GHz - £228

Motherboard: Asus Crosshair IV Formula AMD 890FX (Socket AM3) DDR3 Motherboard - £154

Video card: XFX HD 5870 Graphics Card - £287

Ram : Corsair dominator 6gb (3x2gb) - £124

PSU: Corsair 850W HX Modular PSU - 80plus Silver Certified Efficiency - £132

Case: Antec 1200 - £119 or Coolermaster HAF 932 £103 or Coolermaster HAF X - £140?

HDD: Western Digital Caviar Black 64mb cache 500gb 7200rpm - £43

CPU Cooler: Thermaltake frio - £35

Fan Controller (LCD): NZXT Sentry LX - £45 or Syth Kaze Master Pro - £23 or NZXT Sentry 2 - £25?

Optical Drive DVD RW: LiteOn IHAS524-32 24x labeltag - £20.99

Antec Veris IR Reciever?: £45

Sorry for the list being so long.

Any advice for a newb would be well appreciated.

Thanks again! :D

This is a double post BTW ^^^
Phenom X6 only supports Dual-channel Memory, You'll either have to go with 4GB, or 8GB. What do you need the IR receiver for?
HDD - go for http://www.google.co.uk/products/ca...iII5LAzQW8vvD7AQ&sa=title&ved=0CAcQ8wIwADgA#p
Better Value, and more storage, a favourite (I find) with system builders ^^^
Are you Overclocking?

shaf

dam ur fastdude!

I know xD I hope an admin deletes the other repeated post!

OMG lol u saved this newbs bank - So do u think im better off having 8gb or 4gb?

the receiver thing ermm good point lol - i wont get it on 2nd thougts

oo overclocking - i want to do but not till later so i dont mess things up, but ye i will be overclocking. thanks for the hdd advice - i need overclocker frnds like u :D

shaf

by the way mate do u think the prices are alright? am not gtn ripped off am i? lol

Oh and those hdd's have 1tb space. nice man! - should i do a raid 0 with 2 of them?

Last edited:

fastdude

by the way mate do u think the prices are alright? am not gtn ripped off am i? lol

dam ur fastdude!

I know xD I hope an admin deletes the other repeated post!

OMG lol u saved this newbs bank - So do u think im better off having 8gb or 4gb?

the receiver thing ermm good point lol - i wont get it on 2nd thougts

oo overclocking - i want to do but not till later so i dont mess things up, but ye i will be overclocking. thanks for the hdd advice - i need overclocker frnds like u :D
If you searched really hard you could probably find things a bit cheaper, but I would hardly call those prices rip-offs, where are you getting them from?
8GB is better than 4GB, but only marginally. For most tasks, 8GB is Overkill, gaming included. So save some cash and get 4GB instead. As for OverClocking, it's not really hard, and there are plenty of guide online and a few on this forum - Search: OC 101. or go to
http://www.google.com/search?sourceid=chrome&ie=UTF-8&q=guide+to+OVerclocking
Tons of results there, or you could go more specific - http://www.google.com/search?hl=en&q=guide+to+OVerclocking+a+phenom+X6&aq=f&aqi=&aql=&oq=&gs_rfai=

Hope this helps.

bkribbs

Oh and those hdd's have 1tb space. nice man! - should i do a raid 0 with 2 of them?

I can't comment on price really, as I have no idea how pounds or quid or whatever converts to dollars, which is what I use. However, 4 gigs of RAM will do what you need most likely.

shaf

@fastdude : I found them at various online stores, including: Overclocker.co.uk, scan.co.uk, eclipsecomputers.com, lamba-tek.com, ebuyer.com and amazon.

Hmm ye ur right i think i can save a bit on those 4gb ram - I am just about to start uni for Medicine - and moving away lol

Thanks for the OC'ing guides Ill bookmark em ^^

shaf

@bkribbs thanks man, ill be ultimately using 4gb instead from the advice am getin :p

but just incase the currency conversion is 1 British pound = 1.5645 U.S. dollars xD

bkribbs

@bkribbs thanks man, ill be ultimately using 4gb instead from the advice am getin :p

but just incase the currency conversion is 1 British pound = 1.5645 U.S. dollars xD

Ok cool thanks. I went to england once, and it was 2 to 1, I had saved 100 bucks, but only had 50 pounds.

The 4 gigs of ram is a good choice.

Do you have any other questions?

And off topic for a sec, is a quid a pound?

EDIT- We have an OC'ing guide here to. http://www.computerforum.com/cpus-overclocking/announcements.html

shaf

One last question I had - might be silly - but how would I ground my self with one of them straps?

Ye :p a quid is a pound lol

wen it was 2:1 ... them were the days. I actually imported my laptop form America (bhphotvideo.com) It cost me around £940 ($1470) which was well cheap, because in England u wouldn't find the laptop with my specs for less than £2000. It is a Gateway p7809u fx :p

bkribbs

One last question I had - might be silly - but how would I ground my self with one of them straps?

Ye :p a quid is a pound lol

wen it was 2:1 ... them were the days. I actually imported my laptop form America (bhphotvideo.com) It cost me around £940 ($1470) which was well cheap, because in England u wouldn't find the laptop with my specs for less than £2000. It is a Gateway p7809u fx :p

One like this? You put the circle around your hand, and clip it to the case.

8Ne6QeMUCapopTnI_GDjdiZ8H_3qU27GCjI-l7Jpb11XvF9iRv-u9Q-iSw3IEx5w48qAotsFukQaBbjEj2KVi0DMUQKuEbdrX1TKeQdwutaWuulKpwKIJgSyBsN5Al4k_xZ83gcejX0x2dOzjmUvASJs0l7Tu9Z1Ds7bkKZovS8HmTvvKlKFgy_BhYXEn_yoQyQ-

shaf

Ye exactly like that one :)

And does the the psu have to be turned on or anything like that?

Thanks again :)

bkribbs

Ye exactly like that one :)

And does the the psu have to be turned on or anything like that?

Thanks again :)

When you are building it or anything? No. That will not be good. The only time the PSU should be have power is when you have the computer on.

EDIT- Make sure that you have it unplugged when messing with the innards.

Remeniz

Don't bother with the ground strap.

Despite what others think/say just install the PSU into the case first. Then plug it into the mains and make contact with the case now and then. Because the case is now grounded it's doing the same thing as using the strap, or touching the metal kettle that's plugged in, or touching bare pipework. You get my drift, it'll discharge any static build up in your person.

NOTE: Despite the PSU being plugged into the mains it will not turn on until you connect it to the motherboard.

There's nothing outside an ATX PSU that's going to electrocute you, unlike the old AT PSU, and doing this will ensure the metal case is earthed while you work.

EDIT- Make sure that you have it unplugged when messing with the innards.

This doesn't make any sense what so ever.

With the 'old' AT PSU's where the live mains was taken to the power switch on the front of the case i'd agree with you but it just isn't the case with the safer ATX PSU's.

Last edited:

bomberboysk

Deleted your double post.

Also, when changing or removing hardware, it is best to turn off the power supply. This is due to the standby power that the motherboard receives, don't want to accidentally turn the computer on when changing out memory or such.

bkribbs

Don't bother with the ground strap.

Despite what others think/say just install the PSU into the case first. Then plug it into the mains and make contact with the case now and then. Because the case is now grounded it's doing the same thing as using the strap, or touching the metal kettle that's plugged in, or touching bare pipework. You get my drift, it'll discharge any static build up in your person.

NOTE: Despite the PSU being plugged into the mains it will not turn on until you connect it to the motherboard.

There's nothing outside an ATX PSU that's going to electrocute you, unlike the old AT PSU, and doing this will ensure the metal case is earthed while you work.

This doesn't make any sense what so ever.

With the 'old' AT PSU's where the live mains was taken to the power switch on the front of the case i'd agree with you but it just isn't the case with the safer ATX PSU's.

I would prefer to be safer instead of sorry. Different things could happen, and it really isn't that hard to unplug it.

Remeniz

I would prefer to be safer instead of sorry. Different things could happen, and it really isn't that hard to unplug it.

Sure, in the case of the old AT set ups cause I wouldn't wanna accidentally come into contact with 110v/240v.

But I stress that this isn't the case with the ATX set ups.

Also the whole point of plugging the PSU in to the mains is to earth 'it' and the metal computer case in which it's inserted. This in turn creates a great way to earth yourself while building.

Ensure you have a nice flat area to work on a few essential tools and most of all enjoy the build.

Last edited: