Help 1st pc build

Gavr6

I want to build a pc mainly for video editing. I have a Sony HC30 and want to be able to download, edit, and burn to dvd. My budget is $1000 but it's not set in stone. I'll have about three to four hours of video every other weekend to play with.

I have no preference between AMD and Intel and won't be overclocking. I just need to find the best system to edit the video and occasionally play something like quake. I already have monitor, keyboard, mouse, OS, speakers, and floppy. I also need opinions on editing software for a novice.

Thanks

Last edited:

XHotxEx791

AMD Athlon 64 3000+ Venice Socket 939 Processor-146
Arctic SIlver Premium Photosynthetic Silver Thermal Compound Arctic Silver 5-8
DFI LANPARTY UT nF4 Ultra-D Socket 939 NVIDIA nForce4 Ultra ATX AMD Motherboard-135
OCZ Enhanced Latency 1GB (2 x 512MB) 184-Pin DDR SDRAM DDR 400 (PC 3200) Unbuffered Dual Channel Kit System Memory Copper Heatspreader Model OCZ4001024ELDC-K -128
Seagate Barracuda 7200.7 ST380817AS 80GB 7200 RPM Serial ATA150 Hard Drive-62
NEC Beige IDE DVD Burner Model ND-3520A BG-41
eVGA 6600GT 128MB DDR3/PCI-E/TV-Out/Dual-DVI-169
Rosewill RV450 ATX 450W Power Supply 100-120 vrms or 200-240 vrms switch-selectable CSA, CB, TUV, FCC, UL-40

total $729
No monitor, speakers, keyboard/mouse. Suggested upgrades are hard drive followed by sound card followed by gfx card followed by processor followed by psu.

160GB hard drive maybe- increase by $50 i think
sound card-Creative SOund Blaster Audigy 2 ZS Gamer Edition-$113
gfx card-6800GT-$345
processor-AMD Dual-core would definitely help in video editing though. The only way the Pentium D would beat AMD X2s is if they have HT, which they don't. SO unless you get the Pentium EE, than the AMD X2 is alright for video editing. The X2 is better than the Pentium 4 singles cores with HT, which are better than AMD Athlon 64s in terms of video editing.
psu-rosewill 550Watt (all specs are same)-10 more

Roger

Last edited:

Praetor

Administrator
Staff member
I also need opinions on editing software for a novice.
Premier Elements and Sony Vegas (as much as i hate sony) are both good options

NEC Beige IDE DVD Burner Model ND-3520A BG-41
Dude ... update the thing you're copying that from ... the 3540 is out and insignificantly priced compared to the 3520

Rosewill RV450 ATX 450W Power Supply 100-120 vrms or 200-240 vrms switch-selectable CSA, CB, TUV, FCC, UL-40
While 22A is acceptable, you can easily do better without getting excessively expensive

sound card-Creative SOund Blaster Audigy 2 ZS Gamer Edition-$113
Why not just get the Audigy2 or Audigy2ZS? (since most speakers dont take advantage of the improved SNR anyways)

diduknowthat

formerly liuliuboy
doesn't video editing take ALOT of ram? why not throw in more ram? and i thought amd 64 doesn't support dual channel, correct me if I'm wrong.

Praetor

Administrator
Staff member
Yes indeed it does but the amount of RAM you use really depends on the scale of the project. Just these last two weeks I processed about 70minutes of footage using Premier/AfterEffects and they each chewed out about 400MB of RAM ... realistically 1Gb is a good amount to start from (which is why i focused on the other sections which may present more critical problems)

and i thought AMD 64 doesn't support dual channel, correct me if i'm wrong.
this is mentioned in both RAM 101 and CPU 101 but some AMD64 systems support it and some dont (the socke754 systems do not support it)