Help a Geezer Put Together a Computer

Harlan

New Member
I'm a 68 year old retired geezer who is finding that the laptop that I used for business before I retired is no longer adequate for my post-retirement activities. I'm going to semi-retire it and put it in the family room for quick access to the net. I had planned on buying a brand name computer to replace the laptop, but the more I read, the more I’m inclined to try to build a custom machine that will fit my requirements and then some in order to prepare for future needs. It seems to me that the problem with off-the-shelf, brand name computers is they are usually under-powered with 200 – 300 watt PSUs which don’t provide adequate power if one chooses to grow the system. The graphics are also usually integrated and/or minimally capable, to say nothing of the junk software added as sales gimmicks.

Anyway, from reading the comments in several forums, it seems that I ought to be able to put a custom computer together if I knew what individual parts to obtain. That is a problem, because I am not very tech savvy. I have been a user of prebuilt equipment and commercial software. So I need the help of you younger guys and girls who understand the technical aspects of computers much better than I.

A couple of weeks ago, member 101381 asked you guys to recommend discrete components for a computer he planned to build. It seems to me that some of the recommendations were ones that I can live with very comfortably. I especially liked the completeness of the answer by bomberboy. However, before I could list all of the specific parts, Newegg discontinued the PSU and case special they had, and I couldn’t determine which case and PSU was recommended. I made note of the other components, however. I’m wondering if bomberboy could please restate the discrete case and PSU recommendations or make other recommendations.

I noted that the total of the components recommended by bomberboy was about $612 not including the PSU and case. That is about the amount I planned to spend on a computer, but I figure that I might be able to do a little better if I take advantage of various sales and purchase the parts over a period of about a month.

I am involved in radio controlled aircraft. I fly, crash, build and buy and sell systems, so I need a computer to communicate with potential buyers and sellers and provide photos and videos of various pieces of equipment to those I communicate with. I also need good (not great) graphics capabilities to handle a RC aircraft simulation called Real Flight 4.5 which is a very good RC flight simulator. I would also like to get involved in a full scale simulator at some point. I would like to use the computer to store, manage and manipulate photographs, and I want to convert my 33 1/3 record collection to digital media with my digital turntable. Digital music is something in which I want to get more involved. I also have a vinyl cutter which is computer driven and converts various graphic designs to vinyl film for decal-like appliqués which are used to cover/decorate RC aircraft among other things. This is essentially a graphic plotter with cutting capabilities.

The most the computer will be used for traditional computer games is when my grandson visits and decides to use my computer to play games that are probably less graphics intensive than what more serious gamers are used to, although I’ve seen some of the games he plays and they are pretty impressive.

So, the bottom line is I want to learn a little bit about putting a computer together and at the same time build a machine that will likely satisfy my basics requirements for some time, but also provide enough room to grow down the line. If any of you guys can help me, I would appreciate it. One of the things I don’t know about is how to determine how many fans or cooling devices one needs to build into a case, or are the fans included when you buy the case. I have been looking at some of thee customizable computer systems from various sources including http://www.cyberpowerpc.com/, Tiger Direct, Micro Centers, Velocity Micro and others. Problem is, I kind of like most of the things I see at these sites.

It looks like more than 4 Gb of RAM might be overkill, and many of the off-the-shelf units I’ve been considering have 8 Gb of DDR2. I gather DDR3 would be a better decision looking at the near future.

So here I am a 68 year old geezer looking for advice from young people at least 50 years younger and much more knowledgeable about this subject than I. Feel free to ask questions and make in depth explanations that you feel might help. I’ll try to soak it up. I live almost next to Tiger Direct and obviously have access to other suppliers via the web.

As for you, bomberboy, I noted your interest in aircraft and suggest you check out the following link. I think you will like it. In fact, this is cool enough that many others might like it if you like aircraft.
http://www.asb.tv/videos/view.php?v=1bf99434
Thanks for any help you can give me,
Harlan
 
PSU - http://www.computerforum.com/90116-psu-good-bad-list.html
Generally go for the suggested good brand. I have no idea what spec bomberboy recommended. But if it worth $600 exclude PSU and case, it would probably not with highend video card. get a 500W with 80% efficiency. Probably around $50 - 70. it can't go really wrong.

Case - I would recommend a PSU bottom mounted mid-ATX tower, may be with 2 - 3 case fans. intake at front, exhaust at rear/ top. Brand wise - personal favourite are Antec/ Cooler master/ LIAN LI

If you go for website like cyberpowerpc/ ibuypower, we could tell you what to choose. But I hear ppl complain about their customer service.

Is there any local PC store around? How about you give the list from bomberboy and ask them about the cost of putting together?
 
Just like to open with an appreciation for what you're attempting. For someone from a totally generation to want to try his own custom built computer (Something many younger individuals have a hard time being talked into.) but rest assured, we aren't kidding when we say it really isn't as hard as it initially appears. Seeing as how you already have the majority of your parts picked out, stick with quality brand PSU's (As stated). Between 450w-550w should be enough to comfortably run what you're after, with enough headroom to upgrade in the future. A graphics card from the 48X0 series or 9X00GT/X should be plenty for your simulator or whatever your Grandson (Or you!) want to run. If you're looking at low end, get a 9600GT or a 4830 (Or now that I think about it, a 4770 wouldn't be bad either). Mid-range is 4850-9800GT-9800GTX or higher end (and probably not needed for yourself, but I'll mention anyway) 4870-4890- GTX260-GTX275. Case doesn't matter a huge deal. Just make sure you pick something you like, won't get sick of looking at, that you can afford and is well reviewed. The aforementioned brands are of course, of good repute.


On a relatively unrelated note, if you're looking at getting into a full fledged flight sim, and you're into the WWII scene, I HIGHLY recommend IL-2 Sturmovik 1946. Look into it for yourself and be judge, but I've never played any one game so much for so long, and with a robust modding community, you can turn into a whole new creature after a few quick downloads.
 
Physically putting a computer together is not that hard at all. The hardest part which, is not that hard is loading the OS and setting up all the programs. This is the fun part for me b/c Its a fresh start
 
This is more or less the same combo i recommended in 101381's thread:
http://www.newegg.com/Product/ComboDealDetails.aspx?ItemList=Combo.303717

Something else you could do would be this case:
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16811119115

and then this power supply:
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16817171031

On a relatively unrelated note, if you're looking at getting into a full fledged flight sim, and you're into the WWII scene, I HIGHLY recommend IL-2 Sturmovik 1946. Look into it for yourself and be judge, but I've never played any one game so much for so long, and with a robust modding community, you can turn into a whole new creature after a few quick downloads.
+1, IL2-Sturmovik 1946 has all but the latest expansion pack for IL-2 Sturmovik, and can be picked up on steam for something like $9.99.
 
Last edited:
Help for a geezer

You guys have really been helpful and encouraging! I watched all 23 parts of Bucky's vid on building a PC, and I have to say it doesn't look very difficult from a mechanical point of view, but the tougher part is the selection of components and keeping everything within a reasonable budget envelope. The most difficult aspect of the whole thing for me would be loading the machine with the OS and software. Whenever I do something like that, I seem to run into a glitch.

Thanks for any component recommendations you have given and that you may give. I don't have a deadline for this project, so I can take my time in selecting and ordering the parts. I haven't decided on anything as yet, but i want a graphics card at least the equivalent of the Radeon HD 4850, and I want PSU of at least 450 watts. I don't think I need a hard drive larger than 650 gigs, but I can always add one if I need it. For an optical drive I want a burner, but do they make optical drives that aren't burners? I don't need BlueRay on the optical since I normally won't be watching movies on the computer. A stand-alone BlueRay will be dedicated to one of the tv's in the house.

One of the things I'm worried about is the compatibility of Win7 with some of the software I already have. I don't want to buy another version of Microsoft Word 2003, for instance. It runs on my current computer with XP, and I'd like the new operating system to be able to run it rather than buying an update. If Win7 Pro runs it and Win7 Home doesn't, I'll buy Pro rather than spring for a new version of Word. But what can I expect of Win7 Home in terms of any older software compatibility?

Oh, one other question, what precautions should I be taking for static discharge while building this thing? In the videos, I saw that Bucky was wearing a bracelet, but it didn't look like a grounded bracelet.

Thanks for your willingness to help, you guys.

Harlan
 
One other thought. Should I be going with Win7 at this point, or should I go with Vista. (I will look into Linux Ubuntu, too. [Is that redundant?])

Harlan
 
One other thought. Should I be going with Win7 at this point, or should I go with Vista. (I will look into Linux Ubuntu, too. [Is that redundant?])

Harlan

Yes, Win 7 and as everyone has stated, it's not hard at all. in preparing to build my first PC (which was only a couple years ago), I watched a few youtube videos and read a guide in maximum pc. It's almost too easy. Just be sure to post back with your final build list for us to critique. :)
 
You guys have really been helpful and encouraging! I watched all 23 parts of Bucky's vid on building a PC, and I have to say it doesn't look very difficult from a mechanical point of view, but the tougher part is the selection of components and keeping everything within a reasonable budget envelope. The most difficult aspect of the whole thing for me would be loading the machine with the OS and software. Whenever I do something like that, I seem to run into a glitch.

Thanks for any component recommendations you have given and that you may give. I don't have a deadline for this project, so I can take my time in selecting and ordering the parts. I haven't decided on anything as yet, but i want a graphics card at least the equivalent of the Radeon HD 4850, and I want PSU of at least 450 watts. I don't think I need a hard drive larger than 650 gigs, but I can always add one if I need it. For an optical drive I want a burner, but do they make optical drives that aren't burners? I don't need BlueRay on the optical since I normally won't be watching movies on the computer. A stand-alone BlueRay will be dedicated to one of the tv's in the house.

One of the things I'm worried about is the compatibility of Win7 with some of the software I already have. I don't want to buy another version of Microsoft Word 2003, for instance. It runs on my current computer with XP, and I'd like the new operating system to be able to run it rather than buying an update. If Win7 Pro runs it and Win7 Home doesn't, I'll buy Pro rather than spring for a new version of Word. But what can I expect of Win7 Home in terms of any older software compatibility?

Oh, one other question, what precautions should I be taking for static discharge while building this thing? In the videos, I saw that Bucky was wearing a bracelet, but it didn't look like a grounded bracelet.

Thanks for your willingness to help, you guys.

Harlan
Overall how much are we talking as far as budget? As far as MS Office, as long as it is not an OEM version that came bundled with the pc you will be able to install it onto a new computer.
 
Nope, it wasn't an OEM version. I bought it directly from Microsoft with a discount since my wife was teaching at the time.

The total budget has been raised a bit to around $750 and might go a little higher if I have to.
 
Yeah, the hardest part is getting the nerve to actually do it. Once you have all the parts and they are all compatible, assembling it is like putting legos together. Just put the parts where they fit :P
 
Hi Harlan
Go with Windows 7. To many folks unhappy with Vista.
Everything today seems to rely on one optical drive. I use either Sony or Lite Bright.
I'm an AMD processor fan but it's up to the individual as to which is best.
 
Nope, it wasn't an OEM version. I bought it directly from Microsoft with a discount since my wife was teaching at the time.

The total budget has been raised a bit to around $750 and might go a little higher if I have to.
Roughly.....

ODD:
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16827118030

GPU:
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814102853

Mobo:
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16813128392

Case:
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16811119137

CPU:
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16819103706

OS:
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16832116754

Memory:
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16820231277

HDD:
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16822148445

PSU:
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16817139004

Total: $733.93


Few areas you could do upgrades, you could raise the 4770 up to a 4870 for around $30, Could get a crossfire capable motherboard for around $40 if you ever plan to crossfire(and also would probably need a bit larger psu, such as the 650W corsair for ~$20 more). However, unless you plan on playing some really demanding FPS games or such, you probably dont need the ability to upgrade to crossfire nor the 4870 over a 4770.
 
Roughly.....

ODD:
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16827118030

GPU:
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814102853

Mobo:
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16813128392

Case:
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16811119137

CPU:
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16819103706

OS:
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16832116754

Memory:
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16820231277

HDD:
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16822148445

PSU:
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16817139004

Total: $733.93


Few areas you could do upgrades, you could raise the 4770 up to a 4870 for around $30, Could get a crossfire capable motherboard for around $40 if you ever plan to crossfire(and also would probably need a bit larger psu, such as the 650W corsair for ~$20 more). However, unless you plan on playing some really demanding FPS games or such, you probably dont need the ability to upgrade to crossfire nor the 4870 over a 4770.

*Applauds at the build* That's a fantastic build Bomberboy put together. I have the motherboard, case and CPU, they're great! :D

Yeah, the hardest part is getting the nerve to actually do it. Once you have all the parts and they are all compatible, assembling it is like putting legos together. Just put the parts where they fit :P

Nicely put, Motoxrdude ;)
 
*Applauds at the build* That's a fantastic build Bomberboy put together. I have the motherboard, case and CPU, they're great! :D



Nicely put, Motoxrdude ;)
Im relatively certain anyone who has ever owned a rc690 loved it, so many places for fans as well as being a nice and roomy for the price.
 
Well, I'm back catching up with things after being shut down with flu and a torn meniscus over the holidays. Obviously, my plan to build a computer was on hold for a few weeks, but now I'm back and ready to start accumulating components. Bomberboy has given me just what I need to get motivated again. Thanks!

Its really good to see how encouraging you guys are. I'm excited to finally get the project underway.

Talk with you again shortly.

Harlan
 
Back
Top